Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-23-2007, 01:31 PM

Default Re: 77 vs $$ did not guess it

Sorry, I should have provided more detail. I was teaching a 9-year old how to play (don’t think ‘teaching him badly’). There is only a certain amount of information I can give the 9-year old to process at a time—hence the strange play. But…when l was watching the play, I did not really understand the turn by the villain. He knows that he is ahead, but is worried about the draw. So why not bet into me? Or, do you think he thought I (meaning the 9-year old) already had the straight? But, that can’t be the case; I could not be playing 7 8 with how I played pre-flop.
Old 09-23-2007, 02:33 PM

most people play passive in hands with no sidepot. that's why he didn't bet the turn.

[ QUOTE ]
(don’t think ‘teaching him badly’).

[/ QUOTE ] if this is your usual play you're teaching him badly. just call preflop, fold flop, don't minraise river. what is calling on the river that you beat?
Old 09-23-2007, 04:45 PM

No, he is 9. I was just telling him the rules as he played. Next time I will do it on a free site.

Sidebar: are you serious about the Chargers in -07. I am willing to take that bet for rolls.
Old 09-23-2007, 04:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
are you serious about the Chargers in -07.

[/ QUOTE ] one can hope, can't they [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]?
Old 09-23-2007, 04:50 PM

Someone asked about my picture, that is a bathing suit top above the covered up face. Luckily the bird flew by at the right time.
Old 09-23-2007, 09:20 PM

Uhh, this is supposed to be NL not FL right?

Wow, lots of huge beginner mistakes in this hand. First of all, I like setmining a lot more in full table NL25 than playing 77 as a pair. Just call the first raise with your 77 and when you miss the flop, fold. Or if you're gonna raise, raise to $2.5, minraise is always stupid.

Played like this, you miss the flop so fold. Calling here will lose a lot of money in the long run and you don't wanna play for stacks if you hit the idiot end of a straight when the 8 hits the board.

J is a scarecard for many hands like QQ+ but don't go crazy with it, this is NL25 and KK and AA will probably call anyways. Minraise wont make any better hands fold and even if you make someone fold, you will probably only win the sidepot.

BTW, is this a troll thread? Am I just making myself funny analyzing this? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 09-24-2007, 12:04 PM

In hindsight I should not have sent this hand in. My only question was about why he checked the turn. There are many other aspects of this hand that don't need to be looked at. For example, the reason that I said don't look at the river was becuase I had not instructed the child how to type in a bet into Pokerstars. All he knew how to do at this point was min raise.
Now I guess this begs the question: how do you teach a child to play poker? I think I will first buy him Hold'em for gamecube. But then, I will miss those quality times we had together losing $10 a hand (we actually were up believe it or not). Maybe I will order a bumber sticker, 'my 4th grader stole all your straight A students money at poker.'
Another important concept that I thought was important to teach here was the knowledge that this is real money. That is a significant concept in poker for a child. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Sorry about the post.
Old 09-24-2007, 12:18 PM

BTW, is this a troll thread? Am I just making myself funny analyzing this? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

No, you will rarely find me on this site, but never as a troll. I use to play as Splitrig on Full Tilt, but now I play on Pokerstars. If anyone doubts my trollness (or is this a short person joke) [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img], PM me and I will tell you my Pokerstars name.
I think it is a great site and I come to it when I have a chance. I appreciate the time that you spent helping me out. I also appreciate all the time that everyone has spent in my 19 --or so -- posts [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img].
The vast majority of twoplustwo people are very helpful. A couple are clearly amazing people that go above and beyound.
If twoplustwo was a gang, I guess I would be considered a wannabe, with my hat turned right and my left pant leg lifted. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 09-24-2007, 12:28 PM

I question the ethics of teaching a 9 year old poker...especially for real money. Teach him baseball, chess, basketball, Pinockle (sp, lol), Uno, go fish, etc.

Please don't turn him into a basement dwelling (yours!), overweight, selfish, rude poker player.

This parent's .02
Old 09-23-2007, 09:38 PM

If this is the way that you normally play, I think that the 9 year old should be giving YOU lessons.

Seriously though, why are you teaching a 9 year old to play poker? Tell him to go outside and ride his bike.