Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-23-2007, 07:33 AM

Default Always raising first in

Evening all.

Have played about 1000 tourneys, and follow the 'if you are first in, then raise or fold your cards', which seems to work quite well

Have been trying this on the $tables, and seem to be bleeding money, even when i am playing my A game.

I know DS says you can sometimes limp in, but then again, he has often said he would check a set on the flop, and on the turn!

Does anyone have any general advice to a successful tourney player trying to get better at cash games?
Old 09-23-2007, 07:38 AM

Default Re: Always raising first in

Start at the 10c-25c tables. Get lots of hands in so you are familiar with certain situations and also player tendencies.

I notice alot of tourney players make the mistake of overvaluing TPTK/GK and also overpairs (pair of Jacks on a 693 flop in a 4bet pot).

Just little things like that will help a ton imho.
Old 09-23-2007, 08:10 AM
 is offline

[ QUOTE ]
Start at the 10c-25c tables. Get lots of hands in so you are familiar with certain situations and also player tendencies.

I notice alot of tourney players make the mistake of overvaluing TPTK/GK and also overpairs (pair of Jacks on a 693 flop in a 4bet pot).

[/ QUOTE ]

What the hell would he be doing with JJ in a 4bet pot ?
Old 09-23-2007, 08:15 AM

Raise first in is a prejudice that a lot of players have. There are times when it is correct to limp in, especially in tournaments.

For example, if BB pushes everytime someone limps and you find AA, you will limp, right? It is all situational.
Old 09-23-2007, 08:24 AM

Situational, yes, but i found that, when always raising first in,

i) you often steal the blinds
ii) sooner or later someone rr you, and you act accordingly
iii) Many opponents (particularly the live retards) view me as a maniac, and dont believe my pfr, psb on flop, turn and river raise, just because i splashed a bit of money around pf
Old 09-23-2007, 08:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What the hell would he be doing with JJ in a 4bet pot ?

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly, I see it alot though from tourney players, ovevauling TT-QQ
Old 09-23-2007, 09:52 AM

There are times where limping may be okay when first in as mentioned above but the important thing for me is that if you are gonna put money in first, it is never wrong to raise. So starting off, definitely raise first in. Also many people like to raise 4xBB +1BB per limper whereas I found this was often 3xBB+1BB per limper in tournies due to chip value. Also dont play a level where youre scared to lose the $$$$. As we know tournies are safe with controlled losses which is not the case in cash games. How much have you played? I read that you had played 30k hands in another post. You have surely played a lot more than this if you have posted on this site more than 1000 times. Number one thing to do is read the sticky!!!!