Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2007, 04:01 AM

Default Re: Underdeveloped back and lower body

Hah, actually, I think that tabata-style workouts might be a good option for me. I've read about them in the past and I've done thrusters before, so maybe I'll try it out. Not with 75 lbs tho [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-21-2007, 05:40 AM

Hrmm, I'm reading more about the tabata thing and I do think doing it for squat thrusters is a good idea. Maybe start with like 15 lbs on each side though and go from there. I'm sure it will be hard either...

One issue. My apt gym only has a clock on the side where the cardio machines are. You can't see it from the weights side and doing this on the cardio side would be kinda weird -- mainly because I'd have to stand RIGHT in front of someone running or biking in order to do it. So... is there an audio file for tabata out there somewhere? I could just put it on my ipod and stop/start on the beep or something. It would actually be even better for my concentration if it counted down like...

"start" "nineteen" "eighteen" ... "two "one" "stop" "nine" eight" ... "two" "one" "start" "nineteen" ...

etc, you get the idea -- Just like a standard 4 minute song. Maybe I'll make one on my computer if there isn't one out there already.
Old 09-21-2007, 10:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm by no means weak or out of shape. I can bench my weight 8x w/o too much trouble, etc, etc. So I wouldn't expect my numbers to be too bad. It's just that some parts of my body are in MUCH better shape than others.

With regards to deadlifts, I've been trying them in the gym with dumbbells. I feel a ton of strain in my upper legs, but not so much in my upper back. Is just pulling on the weight going to do it for me? FWIW, I'm doing it like this: http://www.criticalbench.com/exercis...l-deadlift.htm

[/ QUOTE ]

Your upper body should as inactive as possible aside from just staying straight and in good form. You don't do anything like a row or shrug on the way up, and the deadlift is not a latissimus dorsi, bicep, or trapezius exercise. It will not and should not substitute for any back or bicep exercise, and bringing the back or arms much into play can be dangerous. At the very top of the motion, to complete a straight stance, your shoulders tend to go back as part of the last little bit of straightening your back. Let that be a natural thing coming as a result of correct form, if it happens. But you should be driving as straight up from the floor as you can, with your legs, so that your erect position falls into place naturally as your hips rise to their correct place. Be very aware of keeping the arch in your back and letting your body fall into place naturally along your spine.
Old 09-22-2007, 05:32 AM

Good advice, I'll keep that in mind. I have done squats before, but I usually used the Smith press in my college gym to do them. Haven't done free bar squats more than a few times in my life. And I've pretty much never done deadlifts.
Old 09-22-2007, 07:12 PM

Hope you enjoy them. They are such tremendous stimulators of the hormonal system that I often feel like I'm floating on air after doing them. I get in a really great mood and all, and often incredibly hungry. Then I suddenly fall asleep at 7:30 at night, LOL. When I do squats, I often feel like I've been hit by a bus and it's all I can do to leave the gym.