Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-2007, 07:19 AM

Default Re: Moving to LA to play pro @ commerce? (long)

you're going to need a car. and you'll develop an anger towards la traffic/drivers.
Old 09-22-2007, 08:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
you're going to need a car. and you'll develop an anger towards la traffic/drivers.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is seriously no joke. la has the worst drivers in the nation by far.
Old 09-22-2007, 01:11 PM

If the Hawaiian Gardens could just get a 60/120 going now with 4$ total rake that Commerce 60/120 and its BS $12/half hour time charge would be gone and Id be able to pay half what i do now.

Yeh 60/120 is pretty easy imo (this is what I primarly play). It gets a lot harder at 100/200.
Old 09-23-2007, 01:23 PM

Thanks for all the advice guys...

I have multiple respectful people now saying the 100/200 game is significantly tougher than the 60/120..
Oh well, thats all long term goals anyways.. Im not rolled for that yet [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

From experience mixing live/online has worked so far to spice things up... The pace of live can really get to me at times... But the antisocial nature of online really gets to me at times. So balancing is key.

I loved LA in general, not just the poker.. Granted I was a tourist, im sure living there is quite different ... The driving was bad but it wasnt THAT bad (im from toronto which helps).

Now I just gotta find classifieds or somethinng that lists cheap apartments semi-close to commerce... and sells used cars..

ps I like hot women
Old 09-23-2007, 02:47 PM

Not sure if you're famaliar w/ craigslist or not, but here is a good classified web site that does both:

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/
Old 09-23-2007, 02:51 PM

I have no clue whatsoever why no one ever mentions Whittier as a viable living option for a Commerce player. Its the closest reasonably nice area to Commerce, and rents for a 1 br are in the 950-1100 a month range. The area north of Whittier Bl, and in particular either north of Beverly, or near uptown and the college are nicer. If staying a few months to try things out is what you want to do, I'm willing to bet you can get a guest house north of Beverly for uless than that. Anyway, drive to Commerce from uptown Whittier is about 20 minutes at non traffic hours and 30-40 minutes max at rush hour. The nice thing is, its close enough that you can drive on the street or the freeway.

The closest nice area is parts of Downey. But its kinda a boring place and you need to be a bit careful about the neighborhood you choose.

Another nice area is Alhambra, particularly around Main Street in their psuedo downtown. Mostly an asian neighborhood.

The closest very nice area...clean, moderately upscale, and with a nightlife....is Pasadena near Old Town. Expect an hour drive to Commerce in rush hour. Expect a 35 minute drive normally due to the lack of nearby freeways. Actually, if you are in old town, taking the 110 down to the 5 and then to Commerce in the middle of the night is probably only a 15 minute drive, but I'd think it would be rare that you could do that.