Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-13-2006, 03:10 PM

Default Re: Ok I have trips

[ QUOTE ]
I hate bloating the pot oop with this hand. I like the flop check. You can c/r the flop from an LP bet. In this situation I would just fold though. I know folding pair might seem like lunacy but if BB has a 4 you're likely gonna be chopping this pot.

There are 2 callers inbetween. They could have a 9, hearts; even 2 random cards will likely have plenty of equity against you until the river. I c/f the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

While I agree I am bloating the pot OOP, I dont want to call or fold here. Many turn cards kill my hand if I am ahead at all now. So, my plan is to raise and represent trips (not at all my default line), bet/fold the turn, check/fold the turn(edit: river).
Old 03-13-2006, 03:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I hate bloating the pot oop with this hand. I like the flop check. You can c/r the flop from an LP bet. In this situation I would just fold though. I know folding pair might seem like lunacy but if BB has a 4 you're likely gonna be chopping this pot.

There are 2 callers inbetween. They could have a 9, hearts; even 2 random cards will likely have plenty of equity against you until the river. I c/f the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

While I agree I am bloating the pot OOP, I dont want to call or fold here. Many turn cards kill my hand if I am ahead at all now. So, my plan is to raise and represent trips (not at all my default line), bet/fold the turn, check/fold the turn(edit: river).

[/ QUOTE ]

The edit makes it hard to be sure what your river plan is, but it seems like a bad idea to get yourself to the river in a bloated pot against this opponent and then c/f the river...

scrub
Old 03-13-2006, 03:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The edit makes it hard to be sure what your river plan is, but it seems like a bad idea to get yourself to the river in a bloated pot against this opponent and then c/f the river...

scrub

[/ QUOTE ]

I have typed 'check/fold the turn' instead of 'check/fold the river'.

So, just give up the flop?
Old 03-13-2006, 03:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes

And FWIW, I think this whole "represent trips" idea is silly. You're not representing [censored] with a flop c/r. You're representing a 4, or some hearts or a med pp. And this is to opponents who are observant and I'm gonna go ahead and take a wild guess saying this field isn't.

A turn c/r would "represent trips" better but c/ring the field on the turn is awful. Just surrendah.
Old 03-13-2006, 03:37 PM

small pot, 3 passive players, 2 are loose.

Fold this and move to the next. A c/r here ties you to the pot to the river and there are 3 villains that could have ANYTHING.

note : I do this about once every 30 - 60 hands. I see a spot where I think I can get "creative" and move people off a pot and I end up dumping 3 - 6BB in the effort. This is EXACTLY the type hand I try this stuff with.

If you really think that the pot can be had, lead out and see what happens to it. Again, you've got loose/passives there that are likely to call with any A. But if its raised you have a good idea that this isn't a pot you want to be in and it only cost you 0.5BB to find out.

~Andy
Old 03-13-2006, 03:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

scrub

[/ QUOTE ]

I have typed 'check/fold the turn' instead of 'check/fold the river'.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the flop is a pretty good spot to fold.

If I was magically on the river with your line HU with the blufftard, I would c/c.

scrub
Old 03-13-2006, 03:45 PM

I don't think I like it. 3 players with loose tendencies are calling your check/raise almost every time figuring if they pair up they are good.
Old 03-13-2006, 03:54 PM

If you are ahead at this point, checkraising this flop would work out well if it was checked around to the Button and he autobet. Then you could face BB and CO with two and force them to fold or be incorrect to call with anything except a flush draw.

Checkraising to trap the field after BB bet is a big mistake because you are probably behind a pocket pair bigger than fours, and if by chance you are ahead, you are now making the pot the size that makes anyone with two overcards correct to call a bet on the turn. Since you know BB likes to bluff donk the flop, you had even more reason to bet out to help avoid this problem.

I would have bet out the flop, but since you didn't and BB bet, I would fold. I don't think anyone with a pocket pair is going to fold because they're convinced you have trip nines.

Had you bet out and gotten raised, you could have folded right there because you would have known you are probably drawing to two outs at best. The exception might be if someone raised a flush draw, but I don't think that is likely on this board.
Old 03-13-2006, 04:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

scrub

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. There are many situations in which check-folding the river here is just gonna really suck.