Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2007, 01:38 PM

Default Re: Ask me about being an EMT.

I have not posted in a long time, but I found this thread to be disappointing.

I could start an ask me thread about being a doctor as well and use google for the answers.

I think this is what the original poster intended. Sheer disappointment.

I am hating myself for even responding and bumping this crap.
Old 09-21-2007, 01:43 PM

I was a volunteer EMT for five years a while back (I was also a volunteer fire fighter for 10). So I can't give the best answers as I only saw a dozen emergencies a month, whereas someone doing this for a living would see that many a shift. I did ride along with paid ambulance workers on a number of occasions and would say this:

1) In suburban areas most calls were legit although not many of them life threatening. In poorer urban areas almost half of the calls I went on were bogus. Usually bored crack heads wanting something to do, prison inmates wanting a trip out of jail for the day or legitimate crazies that thought they were ill but were not.

2) Each state has their own qualifications for EMT to Paramedics, usually there are multiple levels. I was a level 2 EMT meaning I could start IV's and what not, but not push drugs or other advanced care techniques that paramedics can.

3) Most people in the volunteer ambulance corps are fat and nerdy, much like I imagine most of OOT to be. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] Paid ambulance workers less so. Lifting stretchers would not be possible without the aid of newer scissor lifting stretchers that basically do all the work for you. Previous to that, many EMTs and Paramedics I knew wore back braces when on the job.
Old 09-21-2007, 01:48 PM

lol at people still asking OP questions.
Old 09-21-2007, 03:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i worked for a healthcare-related temp hiring agency over the summer, and it seemed like a lot of people bitched about how over-worked they are.

my question is how often are ambulance related rides pointless? as in people calling for an ambulance for a bloody nose or something instead of an ACTUAL emergency. and does everyone who uses an ambulance, even for legitimate reasons, have to pay?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm still an EMT-P and I rode as an EMS responder for around 11 years so I'll try to field this.

It really depends on the demographic of the area being serviced by the responder. I was in Fairfax County, VA which is fairly affluent but I did my P rotations in SE DC. I'd say 80% of the calls we had in DC were "taxi calls" - someone needs a ride to the hospital or doctor for a check-up or follow-up, clearly non-emergency type calls: minor cuts scraps that kind of thing; and my favorites; addicts who need to get to the free clinic for their methadone.

In the suburbs, it was more 50/50. The stations I rode out of had I-95 & I-495 as due areas so we ran a lot of auto accidents. 90% of the time we didn't take someone to the hospital. I'd say 50% of the non auto accident calls resulted in legitimately taking someone to the hospital.

As far as billing, I don't know about DC, but Fairfax County doesn't bill for emergency calls with the exception of air lifts.
Old 09-21-2007, 03:36 PM

What do you do if someone calls the EMT and the person does not want to be tended to or taken in to the hospital? I'm asking because I witnessed this last week and they took the girl in anyways which seemed a little messed up to me. She consciously said no and they refused to accept that. Is that common practice?
Old 09-21-2007, 03:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What do you do if someone calls the EMT and the person does not want to be tended to or taken in to the hospital? I'm asking because I witnessed this last week and they took the girl in anyways which seemed a little messed up to me. She consciously said no and they refused to accept that. Is that common practice?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a good way to get sued. Again it varies by jurisdiction but if a patient refuses transport and is capable of signing a refusal of treatment release we had to let them go. The only exception to this is if they are administered certain drugs, (morphine) then they have to be transported.
Old 09-21-2007, 04:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Here are some real questions for you OP:

(1) What skills do you think everyday people should know in order to save lives? I've always thought it would be a good idea to take some kind of emergency health training. Obviously CPR is one of these - what else? Other things to look for (taking vital signs, for example)

(2) What separates an EMT from a Paramedic from a full out doctor?

(3) Do you have a lot of back pain from lifting fat people on stretchers?

[/ QUOTE ]

1. I don't really know. I guess you could learn, basic cpr. Would be a good idea.

2. Paramedic is just an industry term not used anymore. Doctors have a lot more schooling than EMT's. EMT job is to provide immediate medical care and try to ship them to the doctors asap.

3. I don't know. Sometimes my back hurts, sometimes not. I guess it depends on what you define as a lot of back pain.
Old 09-21-2007, 05:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

(1) What skills do you think everyday people should know in order to save lives? I've always thought it would be a good idea to take some kind of emergency health training. Obviously CPR is one of these - what else? Other things to look for (taking vital signs, for example)

(2) What separates an EMT from a Paramedic from a full out doctor?

(3) Do you have a lot of back pain from lifting fat people on stretchers?

[/ QUOTE ]

1. I don't really know. I guess you could learn, basic cpr. Would be a good idea.

2. Paramedic is just an industry term not used anymore. Doctors have a lot more schooling than EMT's. EMT job is to provide immediate medical care and try to ship them to the doctors asap.

3. I don't know. Sometimes my back hurts, sometimes not. I guess it depends on what you define as a lot of back pain.

[/ QUOTE ]

welcome back to your thread you fat barrel of monkey spunk.
Old 09-21-2007, 05:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You start an "Ask Me" thread and can't even answer a basic life-saving skills question?
Old 09-21-2007, 05:12 PM

Hey I said CPR.