Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Beats, Brags, and Variance
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2007, 01:13 PM

Default Re: Variance: How do people win MTTs?

[ QUOTE ]
But over the course of 1000's of mtt's everyone has the same amount of luck and you'll easily be able to tell who the better players are.

[/ QUOTE ]

[censored] LUCKBOX
Old 09-21-2007, 01:17 PM

it is kind of sick. the one MTT i ever won was actually one of the most badly i've played a tournament, and i luckboxed quite a few times. played better than most but certainly didn't deserve even a final table.

since then (the past 6 months) i pretty much play awesome over and over again and the effing two outers and gutshots fall like rain, and i honestly couldn't tell you the last time i won a critical coinflip. it's a bit discouraging
Old 09-21-2007, 01:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But over the course of 1000's of mtt's everyone has the same amount of luck and you'll easily be able to tell who the luckiest players are.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-21-2007, 01:41 PM

the people that are winning is just a volume issue. yes everyone gets lucky as anyone else through thousands of tournaments but they will have stretches where they are running hotter. runnig hotter = winning your 30/70s with [censored] like AQ>QQ. it's just all situations where whoevers runnig hotter = winner. and doing [censored] like like racing when you're the big stack. you got AK with 16 players left and no matter who open raises, when it's only like 30% half your stack, it's a standard all in no matter who you are. it's just a bunch of all in pres.
Old 09-21-2007, 01:50 PM

Even the best players in the world require luck to do well in MTTs.

Harrington vs Helmuth (2003?). Harrington was all-in preflop with JJ and Helmuth has QQ. Harrington rivers a J and goes on to make the final table.

But as someone said, if you play a lot of MTTs the luck factor evens out and the best players will place higher more consistently.

However, due to the payout structure, even the best MTTs have to make multiple final tables to match a luckboxes one-time win (see also Jamie Gold)
Old 09-21-2007, 02:43 PM

In order to win MTTs you have to constantly be making people make tough decisions. You want them to sweat a call and sweat even harder if they do decide to call you.
Old 09-21-2007, 02:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In order to win MTTs you have to constantly be making people make tough decisions. You want them to sweat a call and sweat even harder if they do decide to call you.

[/ QUOTE ]
this answer is incorrect, since its a tourney its usually all in and pray, who sweats there?
Old 09-21-2007, 02:49 PM

Only one person wins.
Old 09-21-2007, 03:44 PM

here is the secret:

The way to win MTT's has nothing to do with running good. It has everything to do with not getting unlucky.

I've only recently started to show a profit at MTT's and when I win, its often without 'sucking out' on anyone, ever. Its just because the best hand stood up when I needed it to.

Now, snatch the pebble from my hand.
Old 09-21-2007, 03:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Harrington vs Helmuth (2003?). Harrington was all-in preflop with JJ and Helmuth has QQ. Harrington rivers a J and goes on to make the final table.

[/ QUOTE ]
That was Jason Lester.

And yes, MTTs are all luck.