Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2007, 01:10 PM

Default Growing in Skill

Hello poker community. I have been playing poker seriously for about a year and admit I have a long way to go to get better. I was hoping to get advice on how do you tell whether or not you are getting better or if the plays one does are correct and leading you in the right direction.

Many will say, "well can't you tell by how often you win." This may seem to be the obvious answer but for a noob like myself, I feel its hard because I could win a large streak of hands and wonder, "was it because of good play or because of luck?" I could also lose a large number of hands due to bad beats. Was that my fault or just bad luck? Also, since many of the hands I win, other players fold, its hard for me to tell if it was because of something I did or not.

Poker Veterans, do you set yourself a goal each month and try to meet those numbers in terms of earnings? What is the best way to get feed back on your plays. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you 2+2 community.
Old 09-21-2007, 01:20 PM

Default Re: Growing in Skill

Do you have poker tracker or some other software that allows you to monitor your stats? If not I would recommend it. It has been a huge help for me. Also post hands that you have questions about in the appropriate strategy forum.

Oh and stay out of BBV. But seriously take everything there with a grain (or pound) of salt if you go there that will be taking you in the wrong direction.
Old 09-21-2007, 02:12 PM

BBV?
Old 09-21-2007, 02:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
BBV?

[/ QUOTE ]

Beats brags and variance forum. Not a great place to go for strategy advice.
Old 09-21-2007, 03:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Do you have poker tracker or some other software that allows you to monitor your stats? If not I would recommend it. It has been a huge help for me. Also post hands that you have questions about in the appropriate strategy forum.

Oh and stay out of BBV. But seriously take everything there with a grain (or pound) of salt if you go there that will be taking you in the wrong direction.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is sound advice - esp the BBV bit.

Using something like Poker Tracker will help you track your wins/losses, track your opponents and find the holes in your game (losing 5BB on avg from the button?). Used in conjunction with PokerAce or other HUDs (Head's Up Displays) will give you real-time reads on the people at your table. It's one thing to pick up on the fact that your opponent will sometimes limp PF w/ a big hand. It's something entirely different to know that he is generally tight but very aggressive when he has a hand.

Also, posting hands for discussion in the appropriate forum is a great way to get feedback from others. When I first started visiting 2+2, I posted a few hands and was given a rather abrasive (and much needed) smack upside my head on some of the replies. I quickly found out that, while I was playing OK, I had several major holes in my game. The biggest of which was thinking the entire hand through. What was I hoping to accomplish with the hand? What did I think my opponent had? Did I have him beat? If not, what could I do to get him to fold? Knowing the questions to ask made me a much better player. I still have a long way to go, but these forums have offered a lot about not only playing specific hands, but ways to improve my game in general.
Old 09-21-2007, 04:35 PM

Thank you guys for the replies. I can get info on how to use these programs from the websites themselves?
Old 09-21-2007, 05:20 PM

The websites have a forum just like this. It will take some getting use to but you will get the understanding of it in a couple hours or so.
Old 09-21-2007, 05:24 PM

PT has a detailed help file that's html based. It was VERY useful in learning how to use it, and I'll still find new features (like the "game time" button) every now and then that I didn't know about before. I only have 300 hands logged into it (single tabling), so i'm still learning a lot about it!