Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-2007, 06:06 PM

Default Re: Time pots.

Was there a min. amount the pot size had to be? It should be first pot over 300 if a 5-10NL, and 150-200 is 2-5NL most of the time. It varies.

But you always have an option, just pay attention.
Old 09-20-2007, 06:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Technically, is there any point in being dealt in until someone wins the first major pot and eats up the rake?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, you have to pay the time on your own then.

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't need to play the first hand of the down. It doesn't matter if you get two aces in the BB, if you fold until someone eats the rake then you can't be affected.

[/ QUOTE ]

The timepots often arent settled until well into the half, so you'd be folding more than just the first hand. Just pay your own time if youre really the type to fold aces just to save on paying the time pot.
Old 09-20-2007, 06:28 PM

Honestly, you sound like just the type of player who comes out well ahead on time pots.
Old 09-20-2007, 09:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
They also keep the game moving faster, especially in certain games.

[/ QUOTE ]

This has never been my experience. Seems to me time pots kill action cause no one wants to risk their chips just to pay the rake, so everyone plays tighter than virgins until the time gets paid.

Then again, this was at a $1/$2 10 handed game with a $5/ half hour time charge, split between the first 2 pots over $100. $25 is a huge chunk out of a $100 pot. They probably work better at higher stakes.

[/ QUOTE ]

What the hell? Who puts a time pot in a $1/2 game? That is beyond stupid.
Old 09-20-2007, 10:19 PM

my personal opinion is that if you are a tight player than time pots are not a bad idea for you...however the looser you are the possibility that you may have to pay them more is a lot more likely.
Old 09-20-2007, 10:20 PM

NYC clubs charge time instead of a rake for their 1/2 games.
Old 09-20-2007, 10:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As mentioned time pots are +EV for TAGS. They also keep the game moving faster, especially in certain games. Not sure where you play but in a 5/10 game where the time charge is $6 per down and almost no one has whites it's a pain in the ass waiting for the dealer to make change for 6 or 7 people.
More hands = more gooderer for you [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

wtf, where do people play 5/10 and have no whites(/blues)? does no one tip the dealer there?

or, after getting change the first time, can't they then pay time the next 4 downs without needing change? that just makes no sense
Old 09-21-2007, 09:14 AM

You have it about right. Time pots suck. They have more disadvantages than just the immediate ones you noticed as well.

For instance, if the dealer forgets to take the time out of the pot before it gets pushed, there's a good chance the jerk who won it will refuse to cough up the money. In some houses the possibility exists that the unfortunate dealer will have to pay it out of their pocket. In major events where there may be many new dealers (or even experienced ones who haven't seen time pots before) time pots can be very problematic.

I wouldn't classify time pots the same as reverse implied odds, but they certainly do reduce action on those hands because the pot will definitely be considerably smaller.

I have no doubt time pots were invented by nits who wanted to get out of paying to play whenever possible. Some idiot floor let them, and the idea caught on (stupidity is contagious).

Even stupider is that some places split the time between two time pots.

I played in a room where you simply paid your time, period. Worked great.
Old 09-21-2007, 11:11 AM

hahahahahha, either this is incredibly sarcastic or the funniest piece of writing I've read all dead.
Old 09-21-2007, 11:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You have it about right. Time pots suck. They have more disadvantages than just the immediate ones you noticed as well.

For instance, if the dealer forgets to take the time out of the pot before it gets pushed, there's a good chance the jerk who won it will refuse to cough up the money. In some houses the possibility exists that the unfortunate dealer will have to pay it out of their pocket. In major events where there may be many new dealers (or even experienced ones who haven't seen time pots before) time pots can be very problematic.

I wouldn't classify time pots the same as reverse implied odds, but they certainly do reduce action on those hands because the pot will definitely be considerably smaller.

I have no doubt time pots were invented by nits who wanted to get out of paying to play whenever possible. Some idiot floor let them, and the idea caught on (stupidity is contagious).

Even stupider is that some places split the time between two time pots.

I played in a room where you simply paid your time, period. Worked great.

[/ QUOTE ]

They work pretty well at the Borgata in the 20/40. However, I had an Einstein in the 10/20 game who wanted to have a time pot when it just a redbird per down. A Harvard MBA like myself had to step in to prevent this. However, he was still pretty convinced that a time pot was the way to go even when all the dealer had to do was collect ONE RED CHIP from each and every player.

Of course he didn't actually want to put up the fifty bucks, he wanted someone else like me to do it since he saw me run a time pot in the 20/40 another time.