FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Is this...
True 11 31.43%
False 7 20.00%
Insufficient information 17 48.57%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-19-2007, 07:22 PM

Default Re: EDF Cooking Contest--Grilling Challenge

El Sapo--I think my ramekins are bigger? Mine are Pyrex and are maybe 4.5" in diameter and a couple of inches deep, I'm guessing. Anyway, it's all in there. I would love to see more notes on the sauce if you make it again. I could see that the flavor combinations were very good even if my execution was a little off.
Old 09-19-2007, 07:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My husband always says I should keep a kind of lab book for the kitchen

[/ QUOTE ]

Off topic but semi-related -- Anthony Bourdain's one-hour special "Decodig Ferran Adria" is well worth watching. The cooking is amazing, and it's Bourdain at his best.
Old 09-20-2007, 05:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Papa Perry--Smoking is definitely allowed. Can't wait to see it. Regarding the new grill, how often to do you feed an army?

[/ QUOTE ]

Cool, got some fresh Coho Salmon also, that a friend caught in Alaska last week.

I throw large parties. People started asking me to cook for their events when we camp in the desert. So I do. Last season Oct-Apr I cooked for about 8 events. The big grill will not belong to me, but will be part of our private campground in Glamis. I don't expect many other people than I to use it.
Old 09-20-2007, 06:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Papa Perry--Smoking is definitely allowed.

[/ QUOTE ]

OK I'll play.
Here's some pulled pork pron

These are Duroc pork butts (Iowa reds) They have a higher fat content that most butts you get now and a better flavor.
Rub 'em

Smoke 'em

Pull 'em
Old 09-20-2007, 08:45 PM

Slamdunkpro--Can you talk a little bit about your smoking set up? What do you have there? It would also be interesting to know what you put in your rub.

By the way, I guess it's just the way my brain works, but after the two stuffed chicken breast entries we have and now your and Papa Perry's promised pulled pork I'm hearing the banjo/guitar duel from Deliverance in my head.
Old 09-21-2007, 03:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Slamdunkpro--Can you talk a little bit about your smoking set up? What do you have there? It would also be interesting to know what you put in your rub.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't want to hijack this thread into a BBQ how-to. If you or someone wants to start a BBQ how to thread (or if ElD in his wisdom wants to anoint me with that power fine). But quickly, I have a dual insulated vertical smoker on a tandem trailer made by Spicewine Ironworks plus a couple of offset pits.

Spicewine

Offset

As far as what's in the rubs - It depends. Most pro's follow the "rule of thirds" where the rubs are 1/3 salt 1/3 sugar and 1/3 spices. The biggest thing that rubs do is help in the formation of the crust on the outside of the meat. A lot of the rub will actually run off the meat as the fat caps render. Some pro's have a second version of their rub with little or no salt that they sprinkle on their meat before they serve it.
Old 09-22-2007, 11:26 AM

Damn! I have to admit to being quite impressed. Slamdunkpro to what extent are you BBQing. Is this a hobby or a vocation? Do you go on the competitive circuit? That's some nice equipment you have there. Who were these butts for just the local invading army or do you always BBQ up in this quantity even for personal consumption? By the way, I think a separate thread would be interesting if you're inclined to do it. I'd read it. Smoking can be an obsession in itself and I'm sure there are a bunch of 2+2ers that have been bitten by the bug.
Old 09-22-2007, 11:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have a dual insulated vertical smoker on a tandem trailer made by Spicewine Ironworks plus a couple of offset pits.

[/ QUOTE ]

When I read this, I pictured Tim Allen and could hear him saying "Arr...Arr...Arr"....

Amazing setup, slamdunkpro.
Old 09-23-2007, 01:37 PM

Just took the pork off my BBQ. Had to use my Weber kettle's as someone drank too much at the last party and forgot to clean the water pan in the WSM.

They came out great.

Pics soon
Old 09-23-2007, 05:33 PM

Used 4 Boston Butt 6 - 6.5 lbs each (didn't realize it was boneless, which I prefer, so bonus!)

Rubbed it with a rub blend i am working on (will post later)

Let sit overnight

No pictures of the start of the BBQ, it was 1:30 am and my photgrapher was asleep.

Discovered I had not cleaned out my Weber Smokey Mountain water smoker, so I esed 2 of my Weber kettle's. The fire was a bit hotter (325) than I like it in 1 and perfect in the other (275). So I had to babysit and rotate the pork. It was sleep for 1.5 hour, rotate, etc....

Pulled off the 2 smaller ones at about 8:30 the larger ones at 9:30.

This is when I first pulled it off of the BBQ

The meat pulled apart perfectly. The one on the right is with no sauce, on the left I mixed in some Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce. I have not developed my own yet.