Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-2007, 02:59 PM

Default Re: Jena Six

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
As a matter of fact, if I, as a CCW holder, am walking down the street and see 6 people attacking one person, in this state (Georgia)

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Straight Outta Douglasville

[/ QUOTE ]

Heh, exactly who is going to attack you in Douglasville? Mrs. Allen and her gang of novelty shop employees? Please don't say it's for when you come to Atlanta.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, obviously you've never been to Douglasville. We have had a huge influx in the MS-13 gang, as well as a small uprising of crips. So, those two to start. Then, you can add on the crackheads who hang out down at the intersection of Bankhead & Thornton.

Add to that the fact that I call anyone who is of legal age and not a CCW holder a moron who cares nothing about self preservation, and there is your answer.

I see you're from Atlanta. It must make you think you're very tough that you think life is more dangerous where you are than where I am. Too bad it's not true.
#1: Crimes happen everywhere.
#2: Douglas County is not what you think it is.

Anyway, now that I've chunked that guys opinions to the curb, after doing some research, I've come to the same conclusion. These kids should be charged and convicted of Attempted Murder. IMO, had this been a one on one fight, I'd drop it pretty fast.

However, I too live in an area with a rising street gang problem, and would like to see charges like this brought whenever possible. The street gang who jumped this boy is no different than the street gangs who are trying to take over my neighborhood, or your neighborhood.

These boys were a street gang, nothing more. Real men fight face to face. Furthermore, I don't know alot about the laws out there, but here in GA, we have a Street Gang statute that works alot like RICO for the Feds. Increases time, allows you to really dig into these boys past, find out if they've been running drugs, running guns, w/e. Who knows what you'll find.

While what the white kids did with the noose is sickening, it is not an excuse for a 6 on 1 gang jumping. I read somewhere up in the thread that "maybe these boys felt their lives were in danger?"

Just going to let you know, that bs will stop here. I can see exactly where you are trying to go with that, and it won't work. I've got enough training in deadly force encounters to debunk whatever theories you attempt to bring forth to show that this attack was some how "Self Defense" against a "Perceived Threat"
Old 09-20-2007, 03:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
some white kids hung nooses in a tree (apparently directed at black people in some way)

[/ QUOTE ]
Apparently...

[/ QUOTE ]

right because all nooses in trees are directed at black people. This wasn't a burning cross.

[/ QUOTE ]
The noose seems like a very obvious racist symbol. I don't see how you can miss that point.
Old 09-20-2007, 03:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Just because someone was a jerk to you, doesn't mean that you get to beat them within an inch of their life

[/ QUOTE ]
I wonder what is really going here. Am I overestimating the implication of the actions of the white kids(putting a up a noose) because I feel that by doing that it's reasonable for the black kids to feel that their lives are very much in danger. It was very recent in our history where black people who felt the need to stand up to injustices against them were hung up and put on a tree without retribution to the parties who involved. If I were them I would be scared enough to protect myself from them.

[/ QUOTE ]

WTF are you talking about?

They attacked a completely different kid months after the noose incident. It was not self-defense. They did not feel threatened. They ganged up on one kid and beat him half to death.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is obviously a very politically motivated story. So whenever I read something it can be biased and leave out essential information like that. I apparently missed that in what I have heard about this case.

Now was it assumed that the kids did not feel threatened by this or have the kids directly said this? I obviously need to read more about this.
Old 09-20-2007, 03:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Just because someone was a jerk to you, doesn't mean that you get to beat them within an inch of their life

[/ QUOTE ]
I wonder what is really going here. Am I overestimating the implication of the actions of the white kids(putting a up a noose) because I feel that by doing that it's reasonable for the black kids to feel that their lives are very much in danger. It was very recent in our history where black people who felt the need to stand up to injustices against them were hung up and put on a tree without retribution to the parties who involved. If I were them I would be scared enough to protect myself from them.

[/ QUOTE ]

WTF are you talking about?

They attacked a completely different kid months after the noose incident. It was not self-defense. They did not feel threatened. They ganged up on one kid and beat him half to death.

[/ QUOTE ]

uh, he was briefly at the hospital and then went to a party. hardly beaten half to death. im blown away by the lack of effort into researching this topic.
Old 09-20-2007, 03:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
some white kids hung nooses in a tree (apparently directed at black people in some way)

[/ QUOTE ]
Apparently...

[/ QUOTE ]

right because all nooses in trees are directed at black people. This wasn't a burning cross.

[/ QUOTE ]
The noose seems like a very obvious racist symbol. I don't see how you can miss that point.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL @ "(apparently directed at black people in some way)" that is pure gold.

im stunned. wow.

Michael Richards talked about lynchings and apparently the black people in the audience felt that it was directed at them in some way.

stunning.
Old 09-20-2007, 03:43 PM

summary from wiki
black kids want to sit under tree that was for whites only apparantly

white kids respond by hanging nooses on tree

protests

school set on fire

then

Fair barn party incident

On Friday, December 1, there was a private party, attended mostly by whites, at the Fair Barn. Five black youths, including 16-year-old Robert Bailey, attempted to enter the party at about 11 p.m. According to U.S. Attorney Washington, they were told by a woman that they were not allowed inside without an invitation. The five youths persisted, stating that some friends were already in attendance at the party. A white man, who was not a student,[5] then jumped in front of the woman and a fight ensued. After the fight was broken up, the woman told both the white man and five black youths to leave the party. Once outside, the black students were involved in another fight with a group of white men, who also were not students.[5] Police were then called to investigate. Several months later, Justin Sloan, a white male, was charged with battery for his role in the fight and was put on probation. Bailey later stated that one of the white men had broken a beer bottle over his head,[7] though there are no official records of medical treatment being given.[5]

Convenience store incident

The following day, an incident apparently stemming from the Fair Barn fight occurred at a local convenience store. A student who had attended the party encountered Bailey and several friends. An argument ensued, after which the white student ran to his pickup truck and produced a shotgun. Bailey ran after the white student and wrestled him for control of the gun. Bailey's friends intervened in the scuffle and took the gun away. Bailey refused to return it and ultimately took it home with him. Local police reported that the accounts of the white student and black students contradicted each other and formed a report based on testimony taken from eyewitnesses. This resulted in Bailey being charged with three counts: theft of a firearm, second-degree robbery, and disturbing the peace. The white student who produced the weapon was not charged.[3][5]

The assault

On December 4, 2006, Jena High School student Justin Barker, age 17, was assaulted by other Jena High students. According to reports, earlier that day Barker, a white student, bragged about how one of his alleged attackers, Robert Bailey, Jr., had been beaten up by a white man the Friday before.[3] Barker was then knocked to the ground after being hit in the back of his head, and a group of students followed suit by repeatedly kicking him.[14] Barker, who was left unconscious after the attack, was examined by a doctor at the local hospital. In the meantime, the six students accused of the attack, eventually dubbed the "Jena Six",[15] were arrested.

Barker's injuries

After two hours of treatment and observation for a concussion and an eye that had swollen shut, Barker was released from the hospital. He was able to attend his school's Ring ceremony that evening,[7] though he later testified that he left early due to pain.[16]

During the trial, Barker also testified that his face was badly swollen after the attack and that he temporarily lost vision in one eye for three weeks. He also stated that he suffered recurring headaches since the attack, though he admitted that tests have shown no medical cause.

Attempted murder is an idiotic position to take in my view.

I got beat up by 5 guys in middle school...punched in the face, kicked in the stomach etc when i was on the ground

They weren't trying to murder me...just kick my ass.

Something tells me that if it was me and a bunch of white friends who put a beat down on the kid...we wouldn't have gotten a attempted murder charge.
Old 09-20-2007, 04:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Something tells me that if it was me and a bunch of white friends who put a beat down on the kid...we wouldn't have gotten a attempted murder charge.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe, maybe not. However, you wouldve been charged with a "hate crime" (in this day and age at any rate). Yay thoughtcrimes.
Old 09-20-2007, 04:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe, maybe not. However, you wouldve been charged with a "hate crime" (in this day and age at any rate). Yay thoughtcrimes.

[/ QUOTE ]
Correct me if I am wrong, but hasn't intent been a part of the judicial system for a long time?
Old 09-20-2007, 05:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Correct me if I am wrong, but hasn't intent been a part of the judicial system for a long time?

[/ QUOTE ]

INTENT is a LOT different than MOTIVE. Hate crime legislation is about MOTIVE. Differentiations such as 1st degree murder vs. manslaughter are about INTENT.
Old 09-20-2007, 05:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Fair barn party incident

[/ QUOTE ]

This was dealt with correctly

[ QUOTE ]
Convenience store incident

[/ QUOTE ]

This was dealt with correctly except that the white student with the gun might have been charged with recklessness for getting the gun.

[ QUOTE ]
The assault

[/ QUOTE ]

Charge them with assult and be done with it. Attempted Murder is a little harsh, but as someone has brought up, it was 6 on 1.

Cody