Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-2007, 07:17 AM

Default Re: Borgata $20/$40, Two Staking Opportunities

There are plenty of staking deals that are bad for one side or the other and there are a few that are great. It depends on the interests and goals of the two people involved, but its short sighted to think staking is never a good idea.

I've met Ian from AC a couple times (though never played there yet) and always got the feeling he was making a lot of money off his friends who had some poker talent but no money management. Sounds like a win-win to me: they get to keep gambling at the limits they want to and he takes some of their EV for the service. I have no clue about the half-alleged collusion you guys are talking about among his horses though, I've played with a few of them at Commerce at different times and they all struck me as upstanding but degenerate gamblers just like most of us.

-DeathDonkey
Old 09-20-2007, 10:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
There are plenty of staking deals that are bad for one side or the other and there are a few that are great. It depends on the interests and goals of the two people involved, but its short sighted to think staking is never a good idea.

I've met Ian from AC a couple times (though never played there yet) and always got the feeling he was making a lot of money off his friends who had some poker talent but no money management. Sounds like a win-win to me: they get to keep gambling at the limits they want to and he takes some of their EV for the service. I have no clue about the half-alleged collusion you guys are talking about among his horses though, I've played with a few of them at Commerce at different times and they all struck me as upstanding but degenerate gamblers just like most of us.

-DeathDonkey

[/ QUOTE ]

i dont think they collude either, but as for ian making money on the deals, id say ur off a few 100k

staking is a bad idea and i learned my lesson the hard way staking some bum who i thought was a decent player ( he was much worse than i thought) and had no work ethic or integrity
Old 09-20-2007, 10:33 AM

Whether there's evidence of collusion or not, playing in a game with more than one player staked by the same person...just sounds like there's more profitable ways to spend ones time. At the Taj I ran into someone I used to travel with over a decade ago. The first thing he said was, "Okay..this is the signal for trips. This is the signal for..." I told him I'd just find another game to play.
Old 09-20-2007, 10:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

-DeathDonkey

[/ QUOTE ]

i dont think they collude either, but as for ian making money on the deals, id say ur off a few 100k

staking is a bad idea and i learned my lesson the hard way staking some bum who i thought was a decent player ( he was much worse than i thought) and had no work ethic or integrity

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what I figure. Wouldn't you check out how the player you stake actually had some ability at the level below where he wanted to be staked? That's why my friend staked me; he saw that I was a pretty consistent winner at 10/20, so we both figured that I could be somewaht capable at 20/40.

I see these guys at the Taj on a late Saturday night, begging for a stake, and I shake my head in pity and bewilderment. It appears many of these guys either don't work, or just come and blow their entire paycheck playing at levels way too high for their (lack of a) bankroll.
Old 09-20-2007, 01:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I agree...because there is no way that someone with only one post on the 2+2 strategy forum could EVER be a good player...obviously all of the good information ever written about poker can be found there - and only there...

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point.

Much better than the guy who originally came in to support OP, who no doubt likes showing his ass in public.
Old 09-20-2007, 03:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1) this is not a B&M topic. Just because your going to play at the Borg doesnt mean its a B&M specific discussion, staking is a universal poker discussion regardless of limits/games/locations. In the future please keep non-B&M discussion in the appropriate forum, poker theory and beginners would both be good options.

2) In your history of 2+2 you have made only one post in the strategy forums. Spend your investment there rather than risking your friend's money. If I was in the staking business you would be a very poor risk, your "credit rating" would be the equivelent of someone who is on unemployment.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you owe an apology here. Your an admin and should not resort to name calling. Besides, did you even read what he wrote? That is unacceptable behavior and you should ban yourself for one day as a punishment. Or at least brush up on your reading comprehension.
Old 09-20-2007, 09:54 PM

I'm suprised we have not heard from TT in this thread since his original statements? Maybe he went to 2+2 rehab.
Old 09-20-2007, 10:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
1) this is not a B&M topic. Just because your going to play at the Borg doesnt mean its a B&M specific discussion, staking is a universal poker discussion regardless of limits/games/locations. In the future please keep non-B&M discussion in the appropriate forum, poker theory and beginners would both be good options.

2) In your history of 2+2 you have made only one post in the strategy forums. Spend your investment there rather than risking your friend's money. If I was in the staking business you would be a very poor risk, your "credit rating" would be the equivelent of someone who is on unemployment.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you owe an apology here. Your an admin and should not resort to name calling. Besides, did you even read what he wrote? That is unacceptable behavior and you should ban yourself for one day as a punishment. Or at least brush up on your reading comprehension.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd be careful if I were you. I got a 1 day ban for calling TT a dick. Or maybe it was because I suggested that he bangs sheep. Either way...be careful.
Old 09-20-2007, 10:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd be careful if I were you. I got a 1 day ban for calling TT a dick. Or maybe it was because I suggested that he bangs sheep. Either way...be careful.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would have appealed it if I was you...
Old 09-20-2007, 11:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Bro you have got to come check out the East Coast games. Loose passive wet dreams, even at the higher stakes.

At any rate, I've played with Ian and his group a ton. I've never seen any of them pull anything shady (and if I gave that impression in my earlier post, that was not my intention). Still, on more than one occasion I've passed up an open seat at a higher stakes game where most or all of the players were somehow connected to that group of folks. I'd say this is motivated by 90% game selection / 10% me not wanting to sit in a game where everybody has a piece of somebody.