Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-2007, 12:33 AM

Default Re: Who Has The Best Of This Proposition?

as the every betting round values so much for omaha and fifth card may change a lot in a river i prefer 5 cards. also psycho factor which may provide your opponent to fold some strong hands to a massive reraise.
Old 09-20-2007, 01:01 AM

Could we switch this up by saying the player who gets the 5cards isn't an expert player but a novice. Would you take the button every hand then?
Old 09-20-2007, 02:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Could we switch this up by saying the player who gets the 5cards isn't an expert player but a novice. Would you take the button every hand then?

[/ QUOTE ]

id much rather have the 5 cards over a novice. omaha novi are bad enough comming from holdem and being used to 2 cards. position is unimportant, all we are trying to do here is out flop the noob and take his stack. most inexperienced players wont use position to their full advantage anyway, plus its hard to exploit position to its fullest vs a novice anyway (they just call).
Old 09-20-2007, 04:47 AM

I think a more interesting question is what kind of player would you have to be facing to take the 4 card side of the proposition. I can think of several types of live players where I would take the 4 cards and still feel I had a significant edge.

gl

bdd
Old 09-20-2007, 06:19 AM

Sidenote:

This has been done with two swedish players who played two sessions, and swapped sides after the first session. One is a very skilled player but not a PLO expert and the other player often plays the big PLO games online (I promised not to name names although you should be able to figure out who the PLO player is).

The "ultra-highstakes player" (that sounds really corny, whatever..) won big both when he got five cards and when he got the button every hand.
Old 09-20-2007, 06:52 AM

how about if it was 6 cards versus 5 cards + the button? 7 vs 6 + the button? I haven't played very much 5 card+ PLO. Big Dave D, or someone else?
Old 09-20-2007, 02:17 PM

I'm not sure you even have to go that far. I think 500 BB is plenty to make sure you have full pot on every street in a raised pot.

I still doubt that it would compensate the extra card, but I agree that the deeper the stacks, the more the positional advantage comes into play.

I also think that a corollary of this is that the 5-card player should raise much more aggressively than usual OOP (possibly just about everything except trips) in order to keep stack-depth low and to keep SB cautious about completing at all.
Old 09-20-2007, 04:39 PM

I would take the five cards and feel very comfortable about it even against someone who I knew to be a bit better than me HU PLO.

Here's an interesting side question that might be quantitatively answerable:
If the five card player must discard one card and keep a four card hand preflop before he makes any action, who has the edge then? How best should he set his hand? Should it change based on how his opponent is playing?
Old 09-20-2007, 05:58 PM

Round,

I think the key is how really bad people play live, and the kind of bad they play. (At least in the UK). The difference between live and online is huge. For example, you will get guys who just play PLO like holdem, which you also get online, but not quite so bad. Also, you get guys who play PLO like a kind of loose passive Roulette, never being aggressive with draws and just kind of playing to see where they end up on the river.

Against these two types, giving them a card extra would be no big deal.

As to multi-Omaha, well I would suspect it gets worse then gets better. Round about the 6 mark the advantage will still be significant. But once you got past, say 10, I suspect that although the combinational difference becomes much greater, the practical difference becomes much less. You might be able to give up two cards. Maybe.

gl

bdd
Old 09-21-2007, 05:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I would take the five cards and feel very comfortable about it even against someone who I knew to be a bit better than me HU PLO.

Here's an interesting side question that might be quantitatively answerable:
If the five card player must discard one card and keep a four card hand preflop before he makes any action, who has the edge then? How best should he set his hand? Should it change based on how his opponent is playing?

[/ QUOTE ]
I think the player with position has the edge here. If he has to discard it on the flop instead, I think that would be close, and a fun game to try.