Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Software
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-19-2007, 02:11 AM

Default new to Java - help me get started pls

i just downloaded java because i'd like to open up AllinCalc and tinker around with it and see how it works, and try to see why it is "not 100% accurate" (so says the readme file).

but i cannot figure out how to open the file, AllinCalc.jar, in a format that i can read it, much less edit it and run it. i asked the same question on sun's java forum but i'm having trouble getting a good answer. link

please make it simple, i can't understand half the stuff the guys on that forum are saying.
Old 09-19-2007, 07:22 AM

Default Re: new to Java - help me get started pls

You need to make sure you downloaded the JDK (Java Development Kit). It contains javac and the other development tools. Specifically you want JDK 6 Update 2 from here:

http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index.jsp

It's the first item in the list when I look at that page.

Once you've installed that I believe the installer will put the 'bin' directory in the path for you. If not you can add it as you've been doing and it should work.

Do you have the source to AllinCalc.jar? If not then your job is going to be a bit more difficult. You can extract eh contents of the .jar file using:

jar xf AllinCalc.jar

.jar files are really .zip files. You could even rename it to .zip and open it in winzip or something like that. This will show the .class files, which are the compiled versions of the source code.

If the source is also in there, you're in luck! If not, you'll need to decompile the .class files. Post here if you need to go this far as it's a bit complicated :-)
Old 09-19-2007, 09:50 AM

i created allincalc, what do you want to know? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

the jar only contains the class files which wont help you unless you decompile them.
Old 09-20-2007, 05:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i created allincalc, what do you want to know? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

the jar only contains the class files which wont help you unless you decompile them.

[/ QUOTE ]

oooh, exactly the person i wanted to talk to. thanks for responding.

i am hoping to look at the code for allincalc for a couple of reasons. the first is that i want to learn more about java and programming in general. i have a little java experience and some experience programming in general. if this were written in pascal or basic, i could understand it pretty quickly (this probably dates me - it's been a bunch of years since i did any programming).

the second reason i want to look at allincalc is to understand the program better. you say that the program is not 100% accurate - do you know what the flaws are?

ideally i'd like to look at the program and fix the flaws. one reason is that running the program on my databases indicates that i have been really unlucky, so unlucky that i think the program might be overstating my bad luck.

in 340,444 hands of lifetime 2/4 nl i have all-in luck of -$7,435. in 94041 hands of 3/6 nl i have all-in luck of -$13,036. i'm not a big stats guy but this seems like a lot of bad luck. i dunno, maybe this is relatively normal.

here are the steps i'd like to accomplish

1. figure out what i need to do to look at the code of allincalc (including classes)

2. figure out if there are flaws in the program

3. if so, fix them

i'd appreciate any help you can give me, especially with step 1.

thanks!
Old 09-20-2007, 05:27 AM

hi,

your stats really look wrong, which version of the program have you been using?

the flaws in the program are some of those:
- no multiway allins are recognized (would require special treatment of sidepots, could be integrated in the program though)
- the pokertracker database seems to have some inconsistent storage schemes for different sites regarding potsize, rake, what gets stored as a players bet when he bets 100 but villain only calls allin for 60 etc..
- if you put in 80% of the effective stack preflop with Aces against Kings, and the last 20% on the K-high flop. it shows up as a really -EV play for the whole stack, which isnt accurate.

did you ever try to use pokerEV on your hands, what where the results there?

if you got MSN send me your accountname via PM and i will contact you. i could give you access to the source.
Old 09-20-2007, 06:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
hi,

your stats really look wrong, which version of the program have you been using?

the flaws in the program are some of those:
- no multiway allins are recognized (would require special treatment of sidepots, could be integrated in the program though)

[/ QUOTE ]

that's fine. doesn't introduce any bias to only look at heads up all-in hands. i'm using version 0.7.

[ QUOTE ]

- the pokertracker database seems to have some inconsistent storage schemes for different sites regarding potsize, rake, what gets stored as a players bet when he bets 100 but villain only calls allin for 60 etc..

[/ QUOTE ]

that could be a problem. do you know if the program calculates it properly for stars? that's the only site i play.

[ QUOTE ]

- if you put in 80% of the effective stack preflop with Aces against Kings, and the last 20% on the K-high flop. it shows up as a really -EV play for the whole stack, which isnt accurate.

[/ QUOTE ]

that's fine. that shouldn't introduce any bias as far as i can tell. it's impossible to account for all luck so i'm ok with just looking at all-in luck.

[ QUOTE ]

did you ever try to use pokerEV on your hands, what where the results there?

[/ QUOTE ]

it's been a little while since i last tried, but i compared ~50k hands using pokerEV and AllinCalc and found that pokerEV said that my bad luck was a bigger magnitude. i'm not positive about this, i could run it again if you want.

they won't show up with the same answer anyway though because for pokerEV the pot size is considered to be only the chips that went in on the street where someone got all-in, where in pokerEV the pot size is the entire pot. i much prefer your way.

[ QUOTE ]
if you got MSN send me your accountname via PM and i will contact you. i could give you access to the source.

[/ QUOTE ]

that'd be great. pm sent.