Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-2007, 05:18 AM

Default $3+r trubo Sat: QJ in SB v. button push

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t3000 (8 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

<font color="#C00000">Hero (t17565)</font>
BB (t16696)
UTG (t29460)
UTG+1 (t26755)
MP1 (t15274)
MP2 (t16676)
CO (t28225)
<font color="#C00000">Button (t24827)</font>

Preflop: Hero is SB with J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to t24677</font>, Hero ? <font color="#666666">

$3 rebuy turbo sat to Sunday's Warm up. 16 places paid, around 58 players left.

Villain has been quite active raising (not pushing) about 3 of last 4 hands. A couple of orbits earlier, I had come OTT against his raise in a SB v BB battle, to which he folded (I suspect thats why he pushed rather than just raised on this occasion).

I'm sure villain's range is huge here, but is QJ good enough to gamble with here?

I tend to struggle in the latter parts of these events. I suspect it's because I'm too tight. I'm just trying to get a feel of what I should be calling with in these situations.

Thanks!
Old 09-20-2007, 05:34 AM

Default Re: $3+r trubo Sat: QJ in SB v. button push

I think you have to fold here. QJ isnt a bad hand, but HU all in pre-flop it doesn't do so good. Its just because you are behind to a fair bit of his "bluffing" range, eg K5, A2...

you say that you think he pushes so you don't re-raise and push him off... This might be a sign of a moderately strong hand... i.e. he thinks he is ahead, but doesn't want to be pushed off the best hand, eg A5, etc... These hands are ahead of you as well...
Old 09-20-2007, 06:38 AM

Fold - QJo is too weak

You are a dog even against a very wide pushing range (like top 40%)
Old 09-20-2007, 11:06 AM

Thanks for the responses. It was good to get a 2nd opinion.

[ QUOTE ]
you say that you think he pushes so you don't re-raise and push him off... This might be a sign of a moderately strong hand... i.e. he thinks he is ahead, but doesn't want to be pushed off the best hand, eg A5, etc... These hands are ahead of you as well...

[/ QUOTE ]
This is scarily accurate. I figured if he had a strong hand, he'd have raised again hoping I'd push. I decided to call thinking there was a good chance I was ahead. However he did in fact have A5 and spiked his ace on the flop.
Old 09-20-2007, 11:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for the responses. It was good to get a 2nd opinion.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
This is scarily accurate. I figured if he had a strong hand, he'd have raised again hoping I'd push. I decided to call thinking there was a good chance I was ahead. However he did in fact have A5 and spiked his ace on the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Damn im good... [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]