Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-19-2007, 07:32 PM

Default Re: Obsolete Skills

Travel agents can't be as useful (or be making as much) as 10 years ago... Typewriter repair guys make a (relative) killing though.
Old 09-19-2007, 08:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Huh? I think all that's needed to learn how to cook is a little bit of desire to do so. It isn't rocket science. How old are your friends? I find that I started taking food for granted less as I got older, which is sort of a key step in getting interested in actually making it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont think anyone is saying cooking is necessarily hard. Good cooking is, and I agree if you arent 2nd/3rd gen you probably were never taught to cook at a younger age. The reason it is obsolete is because of all the premade stuff out there and fast food.

[/ QUOTE ]

But that, of course, doesn't replace the good cooking that you are talking about. While I'll agree that takes time - I'm far from there myself - I don't think it's the kind of thing that's impossible if you decide you want to get into it later. So yeah, you may not have serious skills as a 22-23 year old unless you came from that kind of family, but that was sort of my point about getting older.
Old 09-19-2007, 08:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Huh? I think all that's needed to learn how to cook is a little bit of desire to do so. It isn't rocket science. How old are your friends? I find that I started taking food for granted less as I got older, which is sort of a key step in getting interested in actually making it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont think anyone is saying cooking is necessarily hard. Good cooking is, and I agree if you arent 2nd/3rd gen you probably were never taught to cook at a younger age. The reason it is obsolete is because of all the premade stuff out there and fast food.

[/ QUOTE ]

But that, of course, doesn't replace the good cooking that you are talking about. While I'll agree that takes time - I'm far from there myself - I don't think it's the kind of thing that's impossible if you decide you want to get into it later. So yeah, you may not have serious skills as a 22-23 year old unless you came from that kind of family, but that was sort of my point about getting older.

[/ QUOTE ]

the point is, the pre-made food is making people lazy about cooking in general, and sooner or later home cooking will be obsolete because there just arent enough people that are in to it.
Old 09-19-2007, 08:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]

. . . and sooner or later home cooking will be obsolete because there just arent enough people that are in to it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I strongly doubt that, but I guess we'll see.
Old 09-19-2007, 10:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Because a custom hybrid of cursive and print is actually faster.

[/ QUOTE ]

I definitely do this. If I did all cursive, it tends to look messier. My print/connecting letters combo looks neater, and is faster for me.
Old 09-19-2007, 10:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Huh? I think all that's needed to learn how to cook is a little bit of desire to do so. It isn't rocket science.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this could be said about most everything mentioned in this thread. Most of these obsolete skills aren't rocket science, but they are skills, none the less, that are (or becoming) obsolete.
Old 09-20-2007, 01:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]

1) Concept albums were never very popular in the first place. They were fairly rare outside of the progressive genre.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sgt. Pepper
Aqualung
Tommy
Dark Side of the Moon
Old 09-20-2007, 03:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You guys all know how to tell if a number is divisible by 3 right? Add up the digits and see if that is divisible by 3. IE - 2763 = 18 = YES!

I had an offbeat math class in 7th grade that taught us all kinds of little tricks like this, how to do square roots manually, etc. The 3x thing is probably the only one I remember.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wait this kind of stuff counts? Most childhood nerds know these tricks...

Like your divisible by 3 rule, there's others. I thought ppl knew these? [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

6: If the initial number is even AND the sum of the digits is divisible by 3, the number is divisible by 6.

9: If the sum of the digits are divisible by 9, the number is divisible by 9.

5: If the number ends in 5 or 0, obv.
Old 09-20-2007, 03:42 AM

Wiring a plug is the one that jumped out at me. I recently ordered a tv from the pokerstars fpp store. It arrived with a plug for mainland europe on it instead of the UK.

I love my Dad.
Old 09-20-2007, 04:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I still play my Nintendo these days, but I'd have to assume that most of today's children have no idea about the old school games.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nintendo "old school". Ha ha. That reminds me of a comment my brother overheard when he was managing a record store.
Young girl 1: "What's this?" (looking at a Ren and Stimpy video)
Young girl 2: "Oh that's like the Beavis and Butthead of our generation."

I know the values of all the UFOs in Space Invaders. And yes, that involved hitting a UFO with your first missile of the game, on the second missile, etc. This is damn near impossible, in case you were wondering. I might be the only person to have ever done it (I posted it to the internet somewhere sometime, I'm not aware of anyone else having figured it out that way, so at least I think I'm the only person who's ever recorded it.)

For those of you who are "aficianados" of the game and wondering what I'm talking about, this comes from Wikipedia:

"Space Invaders had no hardware for the generation of random numbers, so the seemingly random point values awarded by the UFO actually utilized a hash function based on the number of shots that the player had fired in the current invasion wave. It did not take long for experimenters to determine that the maximum 300-point value could be achieved every time if the player shot the wave's first UFO on the 23rd shot, and subsequent UFOs at 15-shot intervals thereafter."

The reason that worked is the UFO values followed a predictable, predetermined cyclical pattern. I "proved" the pattern, starting from the very first shot. As I said, almost impossible to pull off. (Since the pattern repeated every 15 shots, the UFO was actually worth 300 before the 23rd shot, but it was very difficult to hit the UFO on the 8th shot, so this wasn't well known. As I said, try it on the first shot sometime!)

Maybe I'll add that to the Wiki sometime.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, it wasn't all that darn hard. After I learned the sequence I turned that machine over all the time.
I'm gonna have to get me one of those someday, just for old times' sake.