Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-18-2007, 02:19 PM

Default Re: 1.2 Million Dead in Iraq since US Invasion

The people that were dying due to sanctions were poor children and the poor elderly. The people that were immigrating were professionals.
Old 09-18-2007, 02:20 PM

Here's what a group called Iraq Body Count states, almost forgot about them:

Iraq Body Count Web Site

Accounted for dead: 72,596 - 79, 187.

Apparently they haven't accounted for over 1.1 million killed. Could be 1.2 million but have my doubts.
Old 09-18-2007, 02:39 PM

I think a primary source of error in the study in the OP is probably multiple counting of the same death. The question, "How many in your household have died" may well have been interpreted by many Iraqis as, "How many relatives have died". This would lead to a significant multiplication of the number of deaths.

However, given that other sources of "accounted for" deaths are showing numbers approaching 80,000, and that the number of unaccounted for deaths is probably the same order of magnitude, the end result is a large-scale human tragedy brought on by American military adventurism, which is what matters.

Another way of saying this is that the unnatural disaster brought on by the American invasion is of the same order of magnitude in number of deaths as the tsunami off the coast of Sumatra in late 2004.
Old 09-18-2007, 03:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think a primary source of error in the study in the OP is probably multiple counting of the same death. The question, "How many in your household have died" may well have been interpreted by many Iraqis as, "How many relatives have died". This would lead to a significant multiplication of the number of deaths.

However, given that other sources of "accounted for" deaths are showing numbers approaching 80,000, and that the number of unaccounted for deaths is probably the same order of magnitude, the end result is a large-scale human tragedy brought on by American military adventurism, which is what matters.

Another way of saying this is that the unnatural disaster brought on by the American invasion is of the same order of magnitude in number of deaths as the tsunami off the coast of Sumatra in late 2004.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is very debatable, but at least its not completely untrue. You do a lot of harm to the credibility of the cause you are supporting by using studies like this to make a point
Old 09-18-2007, 03:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
this same poll comes out every few months and every few months it is refuted... its not worth my time

[/ QUOTE ]

Refuted? You see polls with much lower numbers? I haven't seen any of those. What I have seen is complaints that poor poll methodology make them untrustworthy. That still leaves "What is the real answer?" sitting there. Do you want to know the answer?

A discussion of the results of all the different estimates

"How many Iraqis have died in this war" is not an unanswerable question.
Old 09-18-2007, 04:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Add this to the 500,000 who died from US-UN sanctions in the 10 years prior to the war

[/ QUOTE ]

This is sort of like blaming Oxfam for the famine deaths in Ethiopia. They send food, the local military hijacks the food for their own use, the famine sufferers continue to starve. So, Oxfam is responsible for the deaths.
Old 09-18-2007, 04:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Add this to the 500,000 who died from US-UN sanctions in the 10 years prior to the war

[/ QUOTE ]

This is sort of like blaming Oxfam for the famine deaths in Ethiopia. They send food, the local military hijacks the food for their own use, the famine sufferers continue to starve. So, Oxfam is responsible for the deaths.

[/ QUOTE ]

What? This makes my brane hurt. Whatever Oxfam is, it appears to be *trying to help* people by sending food and stuff, while sanctions are like the *exact opposite* - trying to keep stuff OUT.
Old 09-18-2007, 10:14 PM

"This makes my brane hurt."

Evidently. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 09-19-2007, 10:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
this same poll comes out every few months and every few months it is refuted... its not worth my time

[/ QUOTE ]

Refuted? You see polls with much lower numbers? I haven't seen any of those. What I have seen is complaints that poor poll methodology make them untrustworthy. That still leaves "What is the real answer?" sitting there. Do you want to know the answer?

A discussion of the results of all the different estimates

"How many Iraqis have died in this war" is not an unanswerable question.

[/ QUOTE ]

So your answer is that it is between 60k and 1.2 mill?
excuse me if i don't take you seriously
Old 09-20-2007, 12:26 AM

the IBC figure (68k) is just documented, violent deaths of non-combatants by military targets. It differs from the other numbers because it's not an estimate, and it has a different definition of casualty.