Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-19-2007, 09:20 PM

Default 88 vs a few limpers

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t400 (9 handed) internettexasholdem.com

SB (t19945)
BB (t12112)
UTG (t17850)
UTG+1 (t5665)
MP1 (t9549)
MP2 (t5160)
Hero (t7455)
CO (t7465)
Button (t15625)

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG calls t400, UTG+1 calls t400, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP2 calls t400, <font color="#CC3333">Hero ?

if i raise how much? if i call do i shove raises behind me?
Old 09-19-2007, 09:31 PM

Default Re: 88 vs a few limpers

Looks like a good place to shove to me. By my calculations you are picking up over 2000 chips with the limpers plus blinds and antes, thats over 25% of your stack, well worth going for so I would just push. The only thing that might change this is if one of the limpers is really tight and might be limping a monster or something but i doubt it.
Old 09-19-2007, 09:31 PM

I think stack sizes are a little awkward for a raise that serves a purpose here. If I didn't look at your stack I would say raise to 2500-2800 but then that puts over 1/3 of your stack in the middle.

Let's look at the people who limped before you:
UTG: huge stack at the table. Should (ideally) be abusing some of the smaller stacks and raising. His limp tells me he's weak.
UTG+1: Shorter stack. His limp looks like a hand with high implied odds but something he'd be willing to fold to a raise. If you raise the suggested amount above and he pushes you have to call with anything.
MP2: Even shorter stack. I can't think he has any hand that beats you right now, otherwise he would have raised.

Given the stacks on the button and SB, I would think one of them would put in a hefty raise to pick up dead money here. If you raise you are pretty much committed to the hand if someone else forces you all in. So I think I call and play for set value here. The raise size I suggest would put me in an awkward spot if someone pushes, and I don't know that I want to call off with 88.
Old 09-19-2007, 09:34 PM

jus shove ham, theres what, a quarter of your stack in the pot, your m = just over 10, its making moves time, your probably best and you have FE.
Old 09-19-2007, 09:52 PM

The reason I don't shove here is because it pretty much turns our hand face up, does it not?
Old 09-19-2007, 10:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The reason I don't shove here is because it pretty much turns our hand face up, does it not?

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree but calling for set value with not great a stack is a little spewy as well (especially with people still to act). I think shoving is the lesser of two evils.
Old 09-19-2007, 10:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not really, Im shoving most hands Id raise with here except AA/KK/QQ, and occasionally Im shoving QQ here too. And even if our hand WAS face up, how often does anyone have 99+ here? If they want to race for all/most of their chips here, lets race.
Old 09-19-2007, 10:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not really, Im shoving most hands Id raise with here except AA/KK/QQ, and occasionally Im shoving QQ here too. And even if our hand WAS face up, how often does anyone have 99+ here? If they want to race for all/most of their chips here, lets race.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-19-2007, 11:49 PM

it's either limp or shove it...I'd limp/play for set value only if I had a read that utg likes to limp a monster with aggro players behind (or something along those lines)

I'd prefer to jam because the money in the pot already looks too juicy and if someone calls, I don't mind a race (hopefully instead of an overpair)...do 99/TT overlimp in ep?
Old 09-20-2007, 11:20 AM

Dude, you have 88 in the BB in a limp happy SSMT with a pot that's like more than 25% of your stack. Hit that push button, get called by KJo or 77, lose, and go play some x-box.

Barry