Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-19-2007, 09:35 PM

Default Re: Mourinho Quits Chelsea

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Its hard to equate this story to something in American sports due to the ridiculous circumstances surrounding:
A. Euro Soccer
B. Mourinho
C. Chelsea Football Club's recent success
D. Roman Abromovich

Uglyowl, imagine some rich Russian buying the KC Royals, spending a quarter of a billion dollars in 4 years buying players and signing one of the worlds best coaches. The after two league championships, firing him

[/ QUOTE ]

Just a few months ago, Capello lost his job after winning La Liga. So how unusual is something like this?

[/ QUOTE ]

VERY unusual for English football, however not so unusual for teams in Spain (see Real Madrid who sack managers after winning the European Cup). But with the influx of foreign money like Abramovichs comes huge demands that surpass the usual requirements traditionally set by big english clubs, ie win the Premiership. Now its pretty much, heres £200mil, win the European Cup, and everything at home, and do it in style otherwise you're gone.
Old 09-19-2007, 09:36 PM

Wow, I thought this was a rickroll. Reminds me of the Marty Schottenheimer firing.
Old 09-19-2007, 09:37 PM

Hiddink is definitely the most likely candidate. He was mentioned last year. Its a guarantee if Russia don't qualify for Europe.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised to see Rikjard get mentioned, or Ramos. If I were either of them, I would stay away. Both seemingly have good things going at their respective clubs.

Anyone think Klinsmen gets a look?

Also, why is Jose at Real a given? Their playing well so far.
Old 09-19-2007, 09:38 PM

i would love to see Hiddink there. He's one of the top managers in the world.
Old 09-19-2007, 09:40 PM

O
M
F
G
Old 09-19-2007, 09:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hiddink is definitely the most likely candidate. He was mentioned last year. Its a guarantee if Russia don't qualify for Europe.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised to see Rikjard get mentioned, or Ramos. If I were either of them, I would stay away. Both seemingly have good things going at their respective clubs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Klinsmann - no hope
Ramos - doubtful
Rijkaard - maybe if he was availabe, but he aint leaving Barca anytime soon and even if Chelsea approached Barca for him they would pretty much get a LOL in their face because of the recent history between Chelsea/Barca, same for a potential Mourinho to Barca future move.

As for Jose to Real, no matter how well Real are playing, or how many trophies they win, no manager is safe at any point in the season. It was rumoured they were very interested in Jose before appointing Schuster, its very likely they will be interested now and knowing Real, will probably be lining him up already for next summers inevitable manager exchange despite what Schuster manages to achieve. They are a bizarre club run by bizarre men.
Old 09-19-2007, 09:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Klinsmann - no hope
Ramos - doubtful
Rijkaard - maybe if he was availabe, but he aint leaving Barca anytime soon and even if Chelsea approached Barca for him they would pretty much get a LOL in their face because of the recent history between Chelsea/Barca, same for a potential Mourinho to Barca future move.

As for Jose to Real, no matter how well Real are playing, or how many trophies they win, no manager is safe at any point in the season. It was rumoured they were very interested in Jose before appointing Schuster, its very likely they will be interested now and knowing Real, will probably be lining him up already for next summers inevitable manager exchange despite what Schuster manages to achieve. They are a bizarre club run by bizarre men.

[/ QUOTE ]

i agree. Even though Schuster is doing well, the people in charge at Real can sack any manager at any time. Remember Del Bosque? awesome manager with an awesome team. 2000 - Champions league winners, 2001 - League winners, 2002 - Champions league winners, 2003 - League winners. sacked in 2003 for not winning Champions league. Unreal.
Old 09-19-2007, 09:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Other than losing players from what is not a big squad already, Chelsea's other problem is going to be finding a manager both crazy and stupid enough to take the job that Mourinho got sacked from.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't agree with you and Mourinho about not having a big enough squad. Yes other teams have more players, but we have a smaller squad filled with quality. We have Carvalho, Lampard, Ballack and Drogba injured yet we can still have a central midfield of Essien and Makelele, Shevchenko up front (i know he's been poor for us but still a top player doesnt just go bad over night and i still have faith in him) and Alex to replace Carvalho in defence. Chelsea complaining about injuries is seriously poor form.
Old 09-19-2007, 10:20 PM

Shevchenko isn't suddenly bad, he just can't play in chelseas system
Old 09-20-2007, 12:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Chelsea's other problem is going to be finding a manager both crazy and stupid enough to take the job that Mourinho got sacked from.

[/ QUOTE ]
What coach wouldn't love to go to a team that is not much changed from winning two cups, finishing second in the league, and making the CL semis?