Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-17-2007, 03:45 AM

Location: between the click of the light and the start of the dream
Default Laptop hibernation problem

Cliff notes: new dell notebook, whenever hard drive comes back from hibernation (like when you close and then reopen the cover to the notebook) the screen flickers terribly and the computer is useless until reboot

More detailed information below

I recently got a new dell notebook and did a format/reinstall basically right out of the box. I had done this several times w/ my XP machines, but this was my first Vista experience.

So, I booted from the Vista installation DVD the same way I did with XP. I deleted the two partitions that were already set up and then tried to format the drive. The format only lasted a few seconds, whereas with XP I remember it taking a fair amount of time. I guess Vista does a "quick format" or something like that? Is there anyway to do a more complete format like I used to do with XP?

After Vista finished installing, everything seemed to work (i.e. I didn't have to install any drivers. Wireless, etc. all worked). Is this normal?

Everything seems to work fine except for one major problem. When the laptop comes back from hibernation mode or if I close the notebook and then re-open it, major screen flickering occurs. It's so bad that I can't see anything long enough to even shut down the machine properly. The flickering also starts on its own sometimes - but it always happens after the scenarios above.

I thought it was probably a video driver issue, so I downloaded/installed the driver from the Dell website, but it's no help.

I also upgraded the RAM right out of the box, but I ran Memtest86, and the RAM seems to be fine.

It's possible this problem existed with the machine when it came. But there's no way to be sure.

edit: No reward threads in CTH.
Old 09-17-2007, 02:33 PM

Default Re: Laptop hibernation problem

bump
Old 09-19-2007, 01:56 AM

one last desperation bump

if anyone knows any other good site to post this on (other then anandtech.com), i'd appreciate that too
Old 09-19-2007, 02:46 PM

I only have a quick second, as I have to meet a customer in a couple minutes.

First off, the reformat/reinstall of Vista on a new Dell was not necessary. Since you didn't test it first, now you don't know if it was a problem straight out of the box or if the new re-install started it. Your best bet is to call Dell and explain it to them. If it is a new Dell it is under warranty and they will be able to help you, even if it means you have to send the laptop back to them for repair.

The other option would be to try to do the Vista re-install again. If you are using a Dell "recovery" CD/DVD all the drivers will be automatically loaded. If you are using the official Microsoft Vista DVD then your Dell drivers are not being loaded.

Gotta run, I'll check back here later.
Old 09-19-2007, 03:05 PM

Hey thanks for the reply.

The warrenty is another thing I was wondering about. I haven't voided it by reinstalling windows or swapping the RAM - right?

I guess I should just try to to another reinstall. I'd like to format the HD this time completely this time. Do you know a good way to do this (I said in the OP when I tried to format through the Vista DVD it only did some sort of "quick format")?

Thanks
Old 09-19-2007, 05:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The warrenty is another thing I was wondering about. I haven't voided it by reinstalling windows or swapping the RAM - right?

[/ QUOTE ]
Right.
Old 09-19-2007, 09:20 PM

Hoopster, your warranty is fine. Tell Dell exactly what you've done and don't worry about it. Upgrading RAM, reformatting, reinstalling etc are all perfectly fine with Dell and have no effect on the warranty. You mentioned running Memtest and it found no errors, but removing the new RAM and testing the laptop without it might not be a bad idea, just in case. I highly doubt that it's the problem, but it's a quick easy thing to test.

As for a full format versus the quick format in Vista, I'm not sure. I've only installed Vista a few times on machines and I don't really remember all the options presented. I know in XP you are given a choice of a full format or quick format option when doing a reinstall. However, the quick format should do the job good enough to get Vista back on the machine and running. It's worth a shot doing the reinstall but I'm thinking this is probably a hardware problem that only Dell can fix.

Also, speaking of reinstalling Vista, do you have the "official" Dell recovery/reinstallation disc? If so, that is what I'd use because installing with the original Microsoft Vista DVD you will not get all your drivers installed automatically.