FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: grizzly vs. gorilla w/ sword
bear 92 49.46%
gorilla w/ sword 94 50.54%
Voters: 186. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-19-2007, 03:43 PM

Default Re: \"Fixing\" college football -- let\'s see your solution

[ QUOTE ]
Scrapping the bowl system will destroy alot of the poison that is ruining college football.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Bye, bye intermediate goals.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol

Yeah, the only way to measure progress is by bowl games. Please.

[ QUOTE ]
Bye, bye 20 some odd programs ending on a high note.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hello "January Madness".

Ask a bunch of basketball teams (and the fans who make college basketball gogogogogo) if they'd rather play in the big tournament or if they'd like to play one single post season game with the payoff being a hugely increased chance of "ending on a high note". Ask NFL teams and fans the same question.

[ QUOTE ]
Bye, bye class mobility.

[/ QUOTE ]

?

[ QUOTE ]
Hello entrenched power and domination. Hello disproportionate awards to a few schools.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wake up. That's what you have now. That's what the bowl system cultivates. Hello conference tie-ins. 2nd tier conferences have ZERO shot at getting to the non-BCS new years day games. They have some chance of getting into the BCS, but they'll NEVER get to the championship game. Meanwhile, Miami, FSU, Nebraska, Oklahoma and others have all walked into BCS games (even into the National Championship Game) when they clearly didn't deserve it.

Do you live in bizzaro world?

[ QUOTE ]
Hello to crappy nationwide fans who don't have attention spans and want to be entertained for a few weeks.

[/ QUOTE ]

No idea what that means.
Old 09-19-2007, 03:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
pvn,

schools out of the big 6 conferences knew the score going into the game. Most have moved up from lower, playoff divisions. Why would they do so if they get cheated so bad?

[/ QUOTE ]

So because they get a better deal than they do in FCS or whatever the hell I-AA is called now, any amout of screwing they get is OK?

[ QUOTE ]
The truth is these schools 'steal' money from the real programs in basketball and want to do the same in football.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL. They don't force anyone to schedule them. I guess Michigan got "ripped off" by appalachian state. Big programs pay big bucks to have scrimmages. They do it voluntarily.

[ QUOTE ]
Sorry, you don't bring in tv audiences. Sorry, you don't have big alumni groups. Without that, you don't deserve big money.

[/ QUOTE ]

So what you want is "National Championship (of teams that have "enough" fan support by my arbitrary definition of "enough")".

If you want to talk about *deserves* well, sorry, your team sucks even if you have lots of fans. Without good results, you don't "deserve" National Championship titles. Unless you want to replace the scoreboards with attendance counters.

Is that the "magic" of college football? Attendance and dollar signs?

[ QUOTE ]
It's bad enough that the bigger schools have to support them in basketball, please don't make them support their football where most voluntarily moved upto the upper echelon where the system was well known.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you're right. I obviously "don't get the point" of college football.
Old 09-19-2007, 03:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I obviously "don't get the point" of college football.

[/ QUOTE ]

But I think I'm learning. Apparently the "magic" is keeping the old established interests at the top of the heap, getting the big money, by constructing elaborate apparatuses to keep new, upstart teams from challenging their "historical authority" even if they whip their butts on the field. Oh, and "rewarding" the fans, but only the ones who pick the "right" schools to cheer for.
Old 09-19-2007, 04:49 PM

PVN and MT2R. I find it interesting that while you disagree, you both claim that your opponent's ideas will favor the powerful.
Old 09-19-2007, 05:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I think I see YOUR "point". You like the current system because you're a fan of a top-tier school and the current system is tilted in your favor.

[/ QUOTE ]
The Illini's stock might be one the rise, but I do't think M2TR would even call them "top tier."
Old 09-19-2007, 06:04 PM

Pvn, what kind of playoff are you advocating? The basic reason for the bowl system is that with 16 or less teams making the playoffs, there are a lot of teams that have absolutely no shot at ever making the postseason. The chances of a Sun Belt team making an 8-team playoff for example would be worse than 1 in 100,000. Therefore, you give that team an intermediate carrot to strive for, in this case a bowl game. Under my system, they'd at least have a chance to make the playoffs, if they went undefeated or went 11-1 with a decent schedule, but I think we all know the talent level's just not there for that to be realistic right now.

In basketball, they play 30+ regular season games, and can play 3 games in a week, so a tournament like the NIT is feasible for second-tier teams. In football, it's just not. The game's physically bruising and no one wants to make weeks of travel plans to see which football team's #17 or something. With an 11-12 game regular season, the correct amount of postseason for teams outside the championship chase is one game, period. Enter the bowl system. I do feel that it's gotten overgrown, and if I ran college football, I'd eliminate at least 5 or 6 of the lower-tier bowls to make reaching a bowl more special again, but I do think it's the ideal system if you want a small enough playoff to make the regular season meaningful for the elite teams.
Old 09-19-2007, 06:13 PM

You can still have terrible bowl games plus a playoff, no one is going to care about the International Bowl between the MAC #2 and the Sun Belt champion now or in the future. Division 1AA can do it, so can II, so can III, I think we can see an 8 team playoff in 1A without compromising the traditions of the sport or, try not to laugh, the academic integrity that every school strives for.
Old 09-19-2007, 06:37 PM

Yeah, I'm all in favor of an 8-team playoff. I mentioned that earlier in the thread. I'm just saying that unless you have something ridiculous like a 24-team playoff with automatic berths for every crappy second-tier conference, you need to keep the bowl system intact.
Old 09-19-2007, 07:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I'm all in favor of an 8-team playoff. I mentioned that earlier in the thread. I'm just saying that unless you have something ridiculous like a 24-team playoff with automatic berths for every crappy second-tier conference, you need to keep the bowl system intact.

[/ QUOTE ]

The NCAA basketball championship used to be only 16 teams.
All playoff systems find a way to grow.
Old 09-19-2007, 07:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The NCAA basketball championship used to be only 16 teams.
All playoff systems find a way to grow.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's over 300 D1 basketball teams now and talent is spread a lot further, and with the cost of running a big time D1 football program I doubt we'll see an explosion of quality midmajor teams like we see in basketball that allowed a huge playoff to still consist of only quality teams.