Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-19-2007, 06:03 PM

Default Re: $22 Party, two times 33

Personally, I think small pairs such as 33 have a negative EV in STTs. I would personally just fold these and push near the bubble because you have something in case the other players pushes back. Early on it could work if you catch trips, but even then there are many hands drawing against you.
Old 09-19-2007, 06:17 PM

@ Scotty:

Why do you fold hand 2? it is only t40 with a chance to see a flop and hit a set... Do you fold 88/99 also UTG?

@ KCW12:

Why do you fold hand 2 after the raise? The t100 to call is only ~6% of our stack and we have set value?
Old 09-19-2007, 07:15 PM

Hand 1 standard

Hand 2 fold, first I would need at least 2 more callers and even then the raise is still a bit high.
Old 09-20-2007, 01:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
@ Scotty:

Why do you fold hand 2? it is only t40 with a chance to see a flop and hit a set... Do you fold 88/99 also UTG?

[/ QUOTE ]

You have a chance to see a flop, but also a chance that one of the other 7 players will raise behind you. And more often than not its ap retty good chance. I only overlimp the baby pairs, very rarely do I open limp them. I would be limping 88 and 99.
Old 09-19-2007, 06:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Personally, I think small pairs such as 33 have a negative EV in STTs. I would personally just fold these and push near the bubble because you have something in case the other players pushes back. Early on it could work if you catch trips, but even then there are many hands drawing against you.

[/ QUOTE ]
No. This is just not true.
Small PPs have in fact a very high EV, if you know how to play 'em.
You want to see a flop for at most ca. 1/15 of the smaller stacks(you are gonna hit a set in 1/8, and you won't stack someone everytime, so 1/15 is a nice rule) in the hand, and play for stacks when you hit a set.
You stop putting in any chips if you don't hit one.
As easy as that.
And it's simply not true you will get outdrawn very often.
Most of the time you get it in on the flop, you will face TPTK/an overpair, which are pretty dead.
Old 09-19-2007, 07:07 PM

On hand 2, you may have set value if you think you can get the villain to put his whole stack in when you hit your set. The problem is that most of the time, he will not stack off unless he has at least an overpair, and this doesn't happen often enough to make it profitable. I guess it's just personal preference, but in the first few levels, I like to play small pairs in middle or late position with multiple limpers so that there is a bigger chance that somebody will come along for the ride when I hit my set. If someone raises behind me, I will almost always fold unless it is a minraise or if I am getting huge pot odds.
Old 09-19-2007, 07:08 PM

If they raise pf, they will get it in on the flop often enough to make this profitable.
Old 09-20-2007, 12:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If they raise pf, they will get it in on the flop often enough to make this profitable.

[/ QUOTE ]

If they have big unpaired cards like AK, AQ, etc. and they completely miss the flop, you may get some extra chips out of them from a c-bet, but not their whole stack. If they have a pocket pair and the flop comes with an overcard, same thing. Even if you think they will go all-in with TPTK, how often is this going to happen? The odds are almost 8-1 against you flopping a set, what are the odds that you hit your set AND they hit TPTK or better? I'm not spending 140 chips on those odds.
Old 09-19-2007, 07:40 PM

I don't think you've played enough SnGs if you think flopped sets never lose.
Old 09-19-2007, 07:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think you've played enough SnGs if you think flopped sets never lose.

[/ QUOTE ]
Who said this.
TPTK/Overpair is really pretty dead against a set.
Pretty dead means, also http://www.pokerhand.org/?1496269 can occur. But shipping chips in as a solid fav is the target.