Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-18-2007, 05:34 PM

Default Re: Ask TheMetetron about living in or visiting Buenos Aires, Argentin

As far as the roof thing, it depends on the place on whether they have tables and a chairs there. If not a lot of apartments also have balconies attached. I'd lean towards it being very likely you can but not a lock; ask before it is a big concern.

I knew what amounted to essentially no spanish. It is hard as [censored] getting around at first and doing basic things, but you aren't going to die or anything if you don't know Spanish. It is fun at first to be scared of how the hell you are going to do [censored] but if you don't have the desire to learn once you get here it won't be very fun for long. Basically, don't worry about it as long as you want to learn once you get here. You could survive if you don't want to, but I wouldn't recommend it.

Use bytargentina.com to find a place if you don't speak any Spanish.
Old 09-18-2007, 05:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
We went to try and get a gym membership today but we need to get some sort of medical certification. Is this similar to health insurance or just to make sure we are healthy? They said a doctor will be there next week and can get it sorted for 50 peso, I'm just not sure exactly what this is for or why?

Also, are there any basketball courts or tennis courts anywhere? fwiw, we live in Barrio Norte on Sante Fe.

[/ QUOTE ]

Argies are weed. You have to have your head inspected for lice before using a public pool. This gym thing doesn't surprise me. I'm sure there are both but don't know locations. Gyms are likely to have one or both. I'm sure there are public places for both activities as well.
Old 09-19-2007, 12:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I knew what amounted to essentially no spanish. It is hard as [censored] getting around at first and doing basic things, but you aren't going to die or anything if you don't know Spanish.

[/ QUOTE ]

ya this is one thing i didn't expect to be as bad (ie. i expected most people to speak basic english). You get really good at charades though. I kinda like it actually.
Old 09-19-2007, 02:08 AM

It's been kinda cloudy, and very much lacking in blue sky this past month, agreed?

Has it just been a bad month? I miss the sun and the blue sky [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 09-19-2007, 04:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It's been kinda cloudy, and very much lacking in blue sky this past month, agreed?

Has it just been a bad month? I miss the sun and the blue sky [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's been an abnormally bad winter. Not really sure why some of you guys moved here in the middle of the winter.

Almost over, official spring starts in a bit over a week and the weather reports look to be getting much better in that time.
Old 09-19-2007, 03:27 PM

Regarding the problems wiht partypoker that some folks have mentioned. I havn't at all understood the situation.

Is it related to taxes?

In sweden (where im from) we arent at all tax duty as long as we play in a country that is registred in a EU country. Henceforth, i play completley tax free on partypoker.
Is there anything that stops me from playing from an argentinan location and carry on as before? (Swedish bankaccount+ visa card.)
Will there be any complications? Cheers
Old 09-19-2007, 03:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Regarding the problems wiht partypoker that some folks have mentioned. I havn't at all understood the situation.

Is it related to taxes?

In sweden (where im from) we arent at all tax duty as long as we play in a country that is registred in a EU country. Henceforth, i play completley tax free on partypoker.
Is there anything that stops me from playing from an argentinan location and carry on as before? (Swedish bankaccount+ visa card.)
Will there be any complications? Cheers

[/ QUOTE ]

No problems at all playing here for you. Won't have to change anything.
Old 09-19-2007, 03:35 PM

Good to hear. Thank you for clearing that out.
Old 09-19-2007, 05:18 PM

I appologise for beating a dead horse here, but the "perpetual tourist" idea for a european, have you guys got this information on strong advice? I have read from other internet sources that, technically, a tourist can only stay for 6 months per calendar year and that, although officials may frequently overlook, if they decided to count the numbers in your passport, they can reject entry. Anyone heard something similar?

I am coming up to my first 3 months here, I plan to go off on another Brazil jaunt, but plan to spend more than 6 months here this year. I am concered about leaving a load of gear at an apartment, only to be told I cant get back in to the country for another six months!
on a similar bent, has anyone found dificulties only having a tourist visa? Again, I have read elsewhere that without a national identity card, it can be hard to do many things (rent an apartment long term, get a DVD rental card, etc). Has anyone come up against such problems? Is anyone persuing residency?

I read this entire thread a while back, but I appologise if I am asking something already answered.
Old 09-19-2007, 07:29 PM

Not a problem. I know people who have been here for years on a tourist visa. I mean there is always a chance, but pretty much they don't care at all. They have things like trying to get more foreign money to worry about.

I've had zero problems with anything here though you can't get an official lease. Either go with a furnished rental which is cheap compared to Europe or if you want cheaper, get an unfurnished sub-lease from someone under the table.