Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-19-2007, 03:21 AM

Default Re: A line analyzer

[ QUOTE ]
Anyway, given these assumptions (and some made up betting actions), we could use a variable for bet size and see how our EV changes for the hand depending on our bet size.

[/ QUOTE ]

right, except plot your EV vis a vis bet size on a graph so you don't have to hunt and peck
Old 09-19-2007, 12:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What I think would be really cool about this sort of program is that you would be able to check, given the same betting sequence, how bet sizes affect your overall EV (for that exact situation) and maybe have some graphs plotted for EV vs. bet size (either absolute or relative fraction of pot size).

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm assuming you just skimmed the post but I did suggest this at the top of that paragraph (your quote is from the bottom). I totally agreee, though.

I also agree that this program wouldn't be difficult to write (I've already written a program to determine your showdown equity preflop: a typical hand calculator that uses both combinatorial enumeration and monte carlo simulations). I wasn't really suggesting that the math or anything would be difficult, the problem is the GUI. Now, this also wouldn't be too difficult but my experience with Java GUI's lead me to hate it. Do you know of any really nice programming languages that have really good GUI creation and management (something like Visual Basic in it's GUI editor but something like C/C++/Java in it's coding)?

I've noticed that a bunch of people here are programming in the .NET Framework or something. Maybe this has a nice GUI editor.
Old 09-19-2007, 06:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Do you know of any really nice programming languages that have really good GUI creation and management (something like Visual Basic in it's GUI editor but something like C/C++/Java in it's coding)?

I've noticed that a bunch of people here are programming in the .NET Framework or something. Maybe this has a nice GUI editor.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nothing beats Visual Studio. This is really where it's at right now - at least for Windows development. The GUI editor is similar to what you've seen in VB 6.0 or VC++ 6.0, only worlds more powerful.

You can download the free version here but for serious development you'll want to spring for one of the commercial versions.

It supports C#, C++/CLI, VB.NET, standard C/C++, etc. For this kind of work any of these will do but if you're picking one, pick C#.
Old 09-19-2007, 06:45 PM

Thanks a lot. I think I'll check out the free version and see if that works out all right. Also, I think I'll use C/C++ or C# (have to learn it). I was using Java and the free code that is given on the UofA Poker page but as I read on another webpage, creating and deleting objects for a program that is supposed to be very fast just doesn't really work well (as I discovered myself).

Do you know what sort of limitations (major ones) there are for using the free one (as opposed to purchasing a commercial one)?