Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-19-2007, 09:57 AM

Default Giving freecard w TT

Both villains are tight /averege, I have shown agression/folded alot so I really dont want to raise fold again.

At first this seemed like a hand I should cont. bet the turn, but I figure im not folding any hands here, 1 villain raised and 1 cold two bets cold.

Poker Room skin
Limit Holdem Ring game
Limit: $3/$6
5 players
Converter

Pre-flop: (5 players) Hero is CO with T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
UTG folds, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises</font>, Button folds, SB calls, BB calls.

Flop: 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (6SB, 3 players)
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#cc0000">Hero bets</font>, SB calls, <font color="#cc0000">BB raises</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero 3-bets</font>, SB calls, BB calls.

Turn: 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (7.5BB, 3 players)
SB checks, BB checks, Hero checks.

River: Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (7.5BB, 3 players)
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#cc0000">Hero bets</font>, SB calls, BB folds.

Results:
Final pot: 9.5BB
Old 09-19-2007, 10:06 AM

Default Re: Giving freecard w TT

awful!

Bet the turn and river for value.

Why would you only bet if you can get someone to fold?
Old 09-19-2007, 10:13 AM

It's because you don't fold any hands here that you bet. It's called valuebetting. Not betting this turn is a major mistake and you should never do it again.
Old 09-19-2007, 10:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
but I figure im not folding any hands here

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would you want anyone to fold here ? bet the turn and expect to get called by any 9, overcards, a flush draw, straight draw etc people often get out of line on paired flops no sane person checks this turn with trips so your ahead way more often than not its an easy value bet, no point trying to be cute IMO
Old 09-19-2007, 10:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Giving freecard w TT

[/ QUOTE ]

sometimes I see a title like this and before I read the thread I think to myself "wow that almost certainly can't be right" and I start imagining scenarios where it would be. usually it's something like "fold AA for one bet on the flop" or "check/fold top set??". usually I can come up with a scenario where it could be right, but 99% of the time I open up the thread and find something that I hate.

this time I couldn't even think of a scenario. anyone?
Old 09-19-2007, 11:43 AM

jba,
on a AQK2 turn, though you're more likely to be taking a free card than giving one
Old 09-19-2007, 12:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Both villains are tight /averege, I have shown agression/folded alot so I really dont want to raise fold again.

At first this seemed like a hand I should cont. bet the turn, but I figure im not folding any hands here, 1 villain raised and 1 cold two bets cold.

Poker Room skin
Limit Holdem Ring game
Limit: $3/$6
5 players
Converter

Pre-flop: (5 players) Hero is CO with T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
UTG folds, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises</font>, Button folds, SB calls, BB calls.

Flop: 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (6SB, 3 players)
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#cc0000">Hero bets</font>, SB calls, <font color="#cc0000">BB raises</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero 3-bets</font>, SB calls, BB calls.

Turn: 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (7.5BB, 3 players)
SB checks, BB checks, Hero checks.

River: Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (7.5BB, 3 players)
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#cc0000">Hero bets</font>, SB calls, BB folds.

Results:
Final pot: 9.5BB

[/ QUOTE ]

This is not good. Terrible against two opponents. If you had one opponent, and the turn had been an ace or king, you might check to induce a bluff on the river. But this makes no sense here. You are just giving two people a free shot to hit over cards against you.

This sort of play also reduces the effectiveness of your continuation bets on the flop when you miss. Opponents will be more likely to call on the flop if they believe there is a high probability that calling one small bet will allow them to see two cards.