Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-18-2007, 09:01 PM

Default Re: Potential Political Impact?

[ QUOTE ]
Since you're challenging my movties and posted selected parts of PM's you've forced me to respond.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't question your motives. I'm sure your motives are honest. I did applaud your complete disclosure of your interests.

Also, I didn't post selected parts of your PMs. I posted them in their entirety.
Old 09-18-2007, 09:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I agree with DoD, anything spent in Kentucky in a positive, straightforward way would more than pay for itself. If the PPA spent 10k in Kentucky, increased membership beyond online freerolls, and got Mason's nod, I think 2p2ers would step forward with 100k or more. Granted Im not an expert, but Im not conflicted interest wise at all beyond needing certainty I can make a living online. Lol, I'll even volunteer to go on the road with D$D to every bar league and riverboat in America at cost signing people up and handing out keychains and bumper stickers. IF I think theres a concrete, legit effort behind me to make a friendly environment for any aboveboard company going. If it doesn't pay for itself by Christmas, call it off.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that we want to do the right things in KY as well. That's why I brought up the race in the first place. It's awesome for us.

Everyone: If you have ideas for KY, please post them here or PM me.
Old 09-18-2007, 09:20 PM

There is somethingh to be said for the overkill approach suggested by D$D. If we make a STRONG public showing here we are going to be associated with the winning candidate and will get some credit for contributing to his win and being active for our cause.

If we wait for a "close" race where we need to make a showing and our candiate loses... well back to the drawing board and a lot of loss credibility.

With out knowing all the facts it does sound like a limited risk to make a stand in Ky with potentially huge benefits. Why would we think the next opportunity will be this good?
Old 09-18-2007, 09:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

In this fight, it is likely too late, but the PPA needs to partner with the pro gaming concerns.

obg

[/ QUOTE ]

Well it is getting late, but it is not too late. I've done a lot with candidates behind at this point. No I don't think even I could save Ernie, but I could put some life in his campaign and avoid a total embarasment for the GOP in KY.

D$D

[/ QUOTE ]

Hot damn son, who are ya?!? Lord knows in this buisness we all have big heads and for the right price you can do about anything--but that's quite a statement, especially in mid-September, in that race! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Back to more of the issue at hand. D$D has hit the nail on the head several times. From an advocacy perspective, the PPA or the online poker community at large must be able to show that it is capable of inserting itself successfully into a political contest.

The KY race is probably the best possible scenario to cut your teeth on given its dynamics. The issue of gambling is already framed (at least trying to be) front and center by one of the candidates. That's probably as close to online gambling will ever be in a statewide race.

It is an off cycle (if there really is such a thing anymore) year, so there is more oxygen for politics in the media and with people in general.

Now, the bottom line is the question. How many resources are available and should be devoted to the race? What are the tangible results of those efforts? What are the potential downsides of getting significantly involved?
Old 09-18-2007, 09:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There is somethingh to be said for the overkill approach suggested by D$D. If we make a STRONG public showing here we are going to be associated with the winning candidate and will get some credit for contributing to his win and being active for our cause.

If we wait for a "close" race where we need to make a showing and our candiate loses... well back to the drawing board and a lot of loss credibility.

With out knowing all the facts it does sound like a limited risk to make a stand in Ky with potentially huge benefits. Why would we think the next opportunity will be this good?

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that we should be working hard here in KY. Again, that's the whole reason I brought it up for us. Let's get some specific ideas together on what we think we can do.
Old 09-18-2007, 11:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
One of the major complaints the poker people and some of the pols I've spoken to is that they haven't seen any real concrete action from the PPA.
D$D

[/ QUOTE ]

I want to make it clear that I do not usually critizise unless I have a suggestion to correct the problem. I have stated before I am not a member of PPA (and from statements on this board I am not the only 2+2 forum reader that is not a member) I have not even bothered to make their web page a favorite because I haven't seen much useful info there when I have visited it. TE's individual efforts have far out stripped the PPA's and have occassionally motivated me to follow his action plans. But to sum it up "The PPA hasn't shown me anything", if they are "doing things behind the scenes" that is great, but not very motivating for casual observers who do not see these efforts.

D$D quote at the top sums it up for a lot people I believe. If fairly hard core players such as 2+2 readers haven't joined PPA is it any surprise that casual players haven't stepped up?

Again, without being aware of all the facts (D$D's credintals, PPA's resources, etc...) and in light of my total inexperience in the political arena I don't feel qualified to make suggestions in this field. But anytime I am required to deal with situations outside my expertise I seek professional help and I'm willing to pay for it.

To sum it up D$D is right in that casual players need to see positive action before justifying donating time and money. My gut instinct feels like he is correct about ROI as far as the KY race goes. BUT that is only my instinct. If this was my personal problem to deal with I would find a professional qualified to analyse the situation and listen to his summation of the pros and cons on how to proceed coupled with a risk vs reward analysis.

PS
TE the letter writing campaigns and phone calls are great, but you were getting that done without the PPA. Yes, they may have giving you a greater pool of people to work with; but face it, that was zero effort and expense on their part to provide access to their membership lists. I do not perceive these actions as PPA's, they are the results of your work and efforts. Plus while these are great efforts, again their results are not measurable or observable by casual citizens.
Old 09-19-2007, 12:29 AM

I am posting this for D$D who is having difficulty logging in - it is a cut and paste from an email:

For some reason I can not log on to 2+2. I’ve tried resetting my password twice, creating a new account, going to a wi-fi location for a fresh IP location, deleting cookies and history and creating a new account all without success. If I believed in skull&bones type conspiracies ……………..

My personal motives concerning a possible personal effort in KY have been severely questioned.

I’m willing to write a check with my mouth that I’m willing to cash with my ass.

Here are the T&C.

I’ll go to KY on my own dime and do everything I suggest and hope to get paid if anything on the backend.

The lowest possible cost to the PPA or staking individual or group would be a modest per diem. I’m thinking of something like $100.00 per day or less. This is only paid on the backend on something like less than a budget break-even effort, straight new money in versus dollars out. If I manage the success I suggest then some sort of backend sliding scale based on some portion of my “imagined” worth.

All requests for campaign trash and potential use of poker celebrities are on an individual each event risk reward basis solely determined by my “owners/backers.”

Any payments to me have to be through a non-profit, corporation, or cash. A good health plan is worth a deep discount.

All donations collected in new money to the PPA or some non-profit entity. I want no part of them directly and no part of cash donations. I’m willing to collect them in the name or collection for a staker to do with as they choose. I have no interest in a board seat.

My general out line is some sort of sliding scale of performance versus reward. That is if I raise x times and outlay (ROI) I get consideration up to or above my imagined market rate.

This offer expires in 48 hours. I’m tired of dicking around with this. By the time I can be in KY we will have lost almost 2 weeks 25% of the remaining time before Election Day. I will not go to KY under these terms and loose this up coming weekend. IMPO I need to be there Friday morning. If we go past that the deal, is going to get more expensive.

I’d love to go out and play on my own dime and hope to reap my “rewards” in the poker after life, but my wife will not let me go out and play on those terms.

I do not want a gold plated contract; I’m willing to work on a hand shake basis.

Feel free to PM me for e-mail or phone contact.

D$D
Old 09-19-2007, 07:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
TE the letter writing campaigns and phone calls are great, but you were getting that done without the PPA. Yes, they may have giving you a greater pool of people to work with; but face it, that was zero effort and expense on their part to provide access to their membership lists. I do not perceive these actions as PPA's, they are the results of your work and efforts. Plus while these are great efforts, again their results are not measurable or observable by casual citizens.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks! I'm glad we were able to all work together to put our position forward. As for PPA, I'm working with them because I do want them to be more productive. In fact, I demand results.

I don't do this for the credit or for any other personal reason, so who gets credit for what with has no bearing on my interest. My interest begins and ends with us gaining a proper legal definition for Internet poker within America. As the ability to leverage this through the size of PPA will likely improve our chances of improvement, my decision to work with them (while holding them accountable) was a no-brainer.
Old 09-19-2007, 08:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
My personal motives concerning a possible personal effort in KY have been severely questioned.

[/ QUOTE ]

No they haven't.

[ QUOTE ]
This offer expires in 48 hours. I’m tired of dicking around with this. By the time I can be in KY we will have lost almost 2 weeks 25% of the remaining time before Election Day. I will not go to KY under these terms and loose this up coming weekend. IMPO I need to be there Friday morning. If we go past that the deal, is going to get more expensive.

[/ QUOTE ]

D$D has a unique approach to getting work. I've never personally gone to a potential employer and demanded to be hired. This must be a new approach.

Likewise, I've never demanded that my PMs on the subject be replied to immediately.

D$D makes some good points, but he seems like a bull in a china shop so far.
Old 09-19-2007, 10:36 AM

"The anti-poker folks aren't going to rally around anyone as tainted as Fletcher. Even they can see through the real purpose of his campaign of distraction. I personally think we're best letting this election run its course without encouraging or getting any resistance from FoF-types."

Very good advice. TE is from Kentucky, take his word for the local outlook.