Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-18-2007, 08:00 PM

Default Re: Borgata $20/$40, Two Staking Opportunities

You didn't stake me.... it was a crossbook.
Old 09-18-2007, 08:06 PM

You're splitting hairs. Besides...clearly the most important point of my post involved the watermelon.
Old 09-18-2007, 08:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You're splitting hairs. Besides...clearly the most important point of my post involved the watermelon.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am sure the watermelon was left completely unsatisfied...
Old 09-18-2007, 09:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If you do choice number one when seated at the same table, that honestly sounds like collusion to me. Even if you didn't deliberately cheat, you are not going to care whether he or you wins a pot, and will prefer he wins to another player and may play accordingly, even if not intentionally. Even choice two would be a little sketchy if seated together at the same table.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's pretty disappointing that no one picked up on this.

The viability of the games depends on their integrity. We lose that, the recreational players will go away (I know I will) and without us tourists, all you pros will have to beat up on each other. My advice: earn some money and stake yourself, get staked legitimately, or get a second job.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm all for integrity but I'd like to ask anyone who feels that OP's option one is possible collusion, whether you would ban a husband and wife who sat down at the same table. All of that money comes out of the same bank account (typically).
Old 09-19-2007, 12:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Uh, isn't this like ian from the borgata, at 80-160 bankrolling his group of broke degenerates.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ian has bankrolled up to a dirty dozen at a time and all the way from 20/40 to 40/80 to 80/160. Somehow the Borgata thinks that players betting wild with some impunity at the same table is not collusion as it went on for years. I'm sure they were just having fun with the millions that Ian used to have. Or so I hear. I'm only gossipping about this because I find it repulsive and it also seems counter productive to those involved.
Old 09-19-2007, 01:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I'm all for integrity but I'd like to ask anyone who feels that OP's option one is possible collusion, whether you would ban a husband and wife who sat down at the same table. All of that money comes out of the same bank account (typically).

[/ QUOTE ]

People often get concerned about playing against husband and wife. Usually it isn't a problem, but i'm sure it sometimes is one. You don't tend to get married for the purpose of lowering your joint poker volatility and picking off hapless opponents. The staking arrangement described in this thread is much more likely to create a problem since the financial arrangement between the two participants was entered into solely for purposes of playing poker.

So, yes, playing against a married couple can be problematic, though usually isn't. The arrangement described in this thread isn't OK just because sometimes husband and wife play hard against each other.
Old 09-19-2007, 06:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

People often get concerned about playing against husband and wife. Usually it isn't a problem, but i'm sure it sometimes is one. You don't tend to get married for the purpose of lowering your joint poker volatility and picking off hapless opponents. The staking arrangement described in this thread is much more likely to create a problem since the financial arrangement between the two participants was entered into solely for purposes of playing poker.

So, yes, playing against a married couple can be problematic, though usually isn't. The arrangement described in this thread isn't OK just because sometimes husband and wife play hard against each other.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like to play against a husband and wife team in the middle of a heated, vicious, contested divorce. Even the appearance of collusion is nil.
Old 09-19-2007, 11:41 AM

Actually I also don't like playing against a married couple at the table. I think it is fine at "friendly" games, say 4/8 and below, but nothing higher than that.
Old 09-19-2007, 11:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Actually I also don't like playing against a married couple at the table. I think it is fine at "friendly" games, say 4/8 and below, but nothing higher than that.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is one married couple that I play with at the Borgata in the 10/20. They always play together with the wife to the left of the husband (a guy with a fulltilt cap). I have no problem with this since I have never seen them collude in any way. In fact they both wear headphones so they don't have to talk to each other. Life is beautiful...
Old 09-19-2007, 11:55 AM

Shhh. Don't let September in Cape May out of the bag. It's one of the best kept secrets there is.