Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-18-2007, 03:35 PM

Default AJ in multiway pot

PokerStars 1/2 Hold'em (9 handed) internettexasholdem.com

Preflop: Hero is CO with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP3 calls, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB completes, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, MP3 calls, Hero calls, SB calls.

Should I raise or call here against a ton of limpers? I called because I don't want the pot to be too big since I am playing a TPTK hand.

Flop: (12 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, MP1 folds, MP3 folds, Hero calls, SB calls.

13.5:1 w/ 2 overcards seems good enough for me.

Turn: (8 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB folds, BB calls, UTG+1 calls.

I hit my overcard, so I get aggressive. I am kind of worried by the two callers.

River: (14 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG+1 checks, Hero checks.

An overcard comes on the board. I feel like my bets will only be called by hands that beat me, so I check.

Final Pot: 14 BB

Thoughts?
Old 09-18-2007, 04:02 PM

Default Re: AJ in multiway pot

Raise preflop. Not only do you have an equity edge over whatever those donkeys are limping, but you'll often get the chance to take a free turn card if you completely miss the flop (like this one).

Edit to say - calling preflop makes me want to puke. There is only 3 limpers and you have a decent edge. Not only do you want more money in the pot, but your edge shrinks with each person who enters the pot. Would you rather play 4 way or potentially 7 way?
Old 09-18-2007, 05:19 PM

Raise pf with most likely the best hand and to also get the Btn.

You missed an easy value bet on the river. You shouldn't fear the OC, especially when they both check to you.
Old 09-18-2007, 05:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Edit to say - calling preflop makes me want to puke. There is only 3 limpers and you have a decent edge. Not only do you want more money in the pot, but your edge shrinks with each person who enters the pot. Would you rather play 4 way or potentially 7 way?

[/ QUOTE ]
Easy there! Calling preflop isn't a huge mistake. AJo isn't that great a hand. Building a big pot with a marginal holding is meh. In fact, in HEFAP they say that you're better off playing this type of hand against 7 players than against 4. Obviously you're better off playing against 1-2 opponents, but that isn't an option anymore.
Old 09-18-2007, 05:30 PM

I don't really mind the call preflop (see Scar.). Bet the river, other streets are fine.
Old 09-18-2007, 06:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Easy there! Calling preflop isn't a huge mistake. AJo isn't that great a hand. Building a big pot with a marginal holding is meh. In fact, in HEFAP they say that you're better off playing this type of hand against 7 players than against 4. Obviously you're better off playing against 1-2 opponents, but that isn't an option anymore.

[/ QUOTE ]

Heh, wasn't meaning to attack anyone... it just really does give me a bit of acid in the back of my throat [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img].

You're right - while this isn't a huge mistake, it is still certainly passing up a pretty decent edge. Against 3 opponents with random hands you've got about 34% equity. Obv. their ranges are tighter than random, but I think it's still a good example. Given that we are in the CO here with a chance to buy the button, I think this is a clear raise.
Old 09-18-2007, 06:41 PM

Preflop:
If the button is very loose I just call to let the pot not go to big. If the button is more tight I raise to buy the button, plus you have an edge over the other donkeys holding. So I think calling and raising both are good choices.

Flop: I often raise here for a freecard on the turn. But call is good.

Turn: Good.

River: Easy bet.
Old 09-18-2007, 06:56 PM

I agree you've got to bet the river and I prefer to raise pf.

Pf your edge could be quite large and I think you want to take advantage of it.

On the river i could see checking first to act, but once they've both checked I think you have to bet. Yes, most likely at least one, if not both of them will fold, but there is some value to be extracted here.
Old 09-18-2007, 07:08 PM

For me, preflop depends largely on your read on your limpers. If you have moderately tight limpers, your preflop advantage isn't that large; throw in a rock, and you may actually be behind. If two of your three limpers are of the ATC variety, I'm definitely raising here though.
Old 09-18-2007, 07:25 PM

AJ seems to be one of the most disputed hands in the SSHE forum to raise with in LP. Since posting and reading here, I raise it as opposed to limping as I used to.

So in short, raise PF.

I mix my play between calling on the flop and raising for the free card.

Turn: Perfect.
River: Bet when checked to.