Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-18-2007, 01:12 PM

Default FTP $24+2 early position AA play

I have recently started playing MTTs, after playing almost exclusively 90 person SnG. Reading this forum has helped me a lot, I hope I can get some insight on this hand.
It is a double-stack tourney, blinds are 50/100 and I'd say the average stack is about 4k. The villain and I have some recent history. We've been together for about 30 hands and he's been playing fairly tight (14/9) and I have been playing looser than I am used to (30/15, I am usually 20/15).
He has check-raised me about ten hands ago and I have done the same just 4 hands before this one.
On to the hand:
Full Tilt Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t100 (9 handed) Hand History converter Courtesy of PokerZion.com

Hero (t6160)
UTG+1 (t3105)
MP1 (t5050)
MP2 (t6500)
MP3 (t2235)
CO (t1005)
Button (t6325)
SB (t3420)
BB (t8275)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
Hero calls t100, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises to t400</font>, <font color="#666666">7 folds</font>, Hero calls t300.

Flop: (t950) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero ???

So, I don't usually do the limp/reraise UTG with a big hand thing, but I have been very active in the last orbit (played 50% of the hands) so I decide to limp with the aces and see what happens next. Since it goes back to me after the villain's raise, I decide to flat call since it is heads up and re-raising here would telegraph my hand.
Now, my question is: given the recent history, what do you think is the best line to get all the money in?

Lead weak/strong on the flop?

check with the intention of check-raising?

check/call and then check-raise turn or lead the turn?
Old 09-18-2007, 01:25 PM

Default Re: FTP $24+2 early position AA play

ive never played aces like this, but i imagine i'd do something like c/c and donk the turn hoping to get shoved over.
Old 09-18-2007, 02:35 PM

God forbid if one plays with aces with a little creativity.

having said that:

If you've been raising a lot, you want to raise here, right? I mean, what, are you afraid of being RRed? LOL. Raise to 300 here, and then let UTG +1 reraise if he has JJ +.

On the flop, check, because you show that you have a midpair that whiffed and the last thing you want to do is bet because THAT telegraphs your hand. Now, if Villain bets, I say call, then on the turn, depending on what card hits, check or bet again.

it's a weird line, but it works in certain spots. Just don't overuse it.

Barry
Old 09-18-2007, 03:33 PM

If you've been raising a lot, you are in a great position to raise with Aces. Hopefully someone's frustrated with you by now and you get reraised light and can find yourself in a nice big two way pot. As played, probably C/C the flop and maybe weak lead the turn. If you're lucky, the guy has a medium strength hand and reads you for an OOP float and shoves over your weak lead.