Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-18-2007, 02:54 PM

Default 25NL - JJ on a tough board

First hand at the table, villain is unknown.

Party Poker - No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $0.10/$0.25 Blinds - 5 Players - (LegoPoker Hand History Converter)

SB: $23.10
Hero (BB): $25.00
UTG: $30.96
CO: $27.35
BTN: $38.66

Preflop: Hero is dealt J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (5 Players)
UTG folds, <font color="red">CO raises to $0.50</font>, 2 folds, <font color="red">Hero raises to $2.00</font>, CO calls $1.50

Flop: ($4.10) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">Hero bets $3.00</font>, CO calls $3.00

Turn: ($10.10) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 Players)
Hero checks, <font color="red">CO bets $2.00</font>,
Hero?
Old 09-18-2007, 03:06 PM

Default Re: 25NL - JJ on a tough board

I say bet out 5 dollars on turn and reevaluate on river if called. Fold to a raise on turn.
Old 09-18-2007, 03:12 PM

Man, that bet is a micro mini...you are getting 6:1 here to make this call. I am not really sure what we are beating here that he called a 3-bet with preflop and then puts in such a small turn bet. AK or AQ are definitely possibilities here as is a diamond or heart flush draw (maybe a heart draw with a weak pair). Also, he raised us from the CO so his range was probably opened up a bit - meaning something like A9 may not be totally out of line (although calling the flop bet with A9 after the preflop action is Donktastic).

I *think* that the right plays here are raise or fold. A raise would let us know if we are in good shape, or if we are up against a made hand. If we are up against a made hand of some kind, then there is not a whole lot we beat (TT or 88 are about it) and we can fold to a large enough river bet (or a turn 3-bet). Of course as I am typing this out I am realizing that a properly sized turn raise is in fact committing us to the pot.

If the 6:1 bet is on the river I think this is a no brainer of a call. On the turn though, we are still exposed to a street of betting and are oop. Based upon this I think that a fold is the right move (is there such a thing as a crying fold?), but I am not 100% sure of this line so please don't take it to the bank.

EDIT:

Bonus Grunch (to help with this line a bit):

Preflop: Good 3-Bet

Flop: Standard cbet - I may make it closer to pot due to the FD out there.

Turn: I think we need to bet this here. Standard turn cbet (2/3-3/4 of the pot)...play it like the turn card did not bother us. This *would* allow us to get away from our hand without feeling committed in the event that we face a big turn raise.

Where we still have a problem though is with the river if he flat calls our turn bet - I am not sure if it would be better to check call a reasonable bet (which would damn near put us in) or try a small blocking bet (like 1/2 pot).

Man, this is definitely a tricky spot - sorry I cannot nail down a line for you.
Old 09-18-2007, 03:18 PM

its fold out of postion for me
Old 09-18-2007, 03:20 PM

Y'know after thinking about our options, this may be the best line. The problem we run into is that the pot will become huge if we keep cbetting and we do not have the last action to maintain pot control. I may not know wtf to do here but I do know that we do not want to build a big pot with a marginal hand oop, so maybe the fold is the way to go...even to that small turn bet.
Old 09-18-2007, 03:21 PM

I'd give up on most non J turns. But since it's an Ace I'd sometimes lead 8 bucks or so and hope I take it down, esp if I've seen him floating. It would be the last $$$ i put in the pot though. At the end of it you're risking nearly half your stack, but I think the fold equity is there. But giving up is fine also.

Edit: Once you check the turn though, it's game over imo.
Old 09-18-2007, 03:25 PM

Fold.
You have no reads on the opponent, there's too much out there you lose to, 2 flush draws, and 2 overcards. Maybe the CO was trying to blind steal with nothing, but probably not, you don't know, wait for some reads and beat him the next hand.