Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-18-2007, 10:09 AM

Default Re: Marginal/Bad hands from the SB

Just encountered a similiar situation to my OP last night - 7 handed, but this time, I am SB with T4os, all fold to me. Again, no read, just sat down. This time I folded.

Q8os in SB = raise
T4os in SB = fold

That sound ok for a non-expert player? (if my skills were more advanced overall, I guess I might be able to play the T4os past the flop, in the likely event of a call or raise PF).
Old 09-18-2007, 10:35 AM

Q8o is better than a true random hand, but having 7 people fold in front of the blinds increases the chances of BB actually having something. Therefore, I am not raising anything under Q10 here against a straightforward player. Too weak?
Old 09-18-2007, 12:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
q8o is strong enough to raise probably either way.

[/ QUOTE ] [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

and yes q8o is one or two percentage points better than the median random hand hot and cold

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

[/ QUOTE ]

What does your FYP mean? I do not understand the "hot and cold" part....???
Old 09-18-2007, 01:03 PM

I think equity 'hot and cold' refers to an all in situation i.e. that which you would get out of poker stove as pf equity.

Obv the hot and cold equity has little to do with the hand if you cant get it all in versus a truly random range pf but it gives an idea about the hand strength... or something like that.
Old 09-18-2007, 01:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think equity 'hot and cold' refers to an all in situation i.e. that which you would get out of poker stove as pf equity.

Obv the hot and cold equity has little to do with the hand if you cant get it all in versus a truly random range pf but it gives an idea about the hand strength... or something like that.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] Hmm, maybe there is a ref I am missing??? Never heard of hot/cold in this line of thought. Can you state what you mean in layman's terms w/out referencing hot/cold?
Old 09-18-2007, 01:19 PM

and by hot/cold here.. I am guessing you are just referring to variance?
Old 09-18-2007, 01:21 PM

here ye are dear sir,

hot and cold and some bluff equity
Old 09-18-2007, 01:40 PM

ok.. you're referring to H&C equity... but the way you said it didn't make much sense to me and seemed like you were trying to relate to variance.

H&C equity has very little to do w/ whether or not to steal here as your decisions, info, and relative hand strength are going to change quite a bit on the flop.

When deciding whether to steal here, your H&C equity has a very marginal impact since it will have a marginal impact on your villian's FE in this spot. Your biggest concern regarding his villian's FE has nothing to do with your cards at all. Your FE directly relates to how often he will fold.

So if your opponent is w/t, you can greatly open your steal range until he adjusts. Now if your opponent is short-stacked, the H&C equity has a much greater impact on the situation and hands like small pocket pairs become relatively stronger since they run good in H&C situations.
Old 09-18-2007, 01:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
ok.. you're referring to H&C equity... but the way you said it didn't make much sense to me and seemed like you were trying to relate to variance.

H&C equity has very little to do w/ whether or not to steal here as your decisions, info, and relative hand strength are going to change quite a bit on the flop.

When deciding whether to steal here, your H&C equity has a very marginal impact since it will have a marginal impact on your villian's FE in this spot. Your biggest concern regarding his villian's FE has nothing to do with your cards at all. Your FE directly relates to how often he will fold.

So if your opponent is w/t, you can greatly open your steal range until he adjusts. Now if your opponent is short-stacked, the H&C equity has a much greater impact on the situation and hands like small pocket pairs become relatively stronger since they run good in H&C situations.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is correct, that is what I implied by adding the hot and cold FYP
Old 09-18-2007, 01:51 PM

Hmm I would guess that while Q8o is a bit better than the "computer hand", it would lose a little value in hot/cold trials, not gain.