Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-17-2007, 10:01 PM

Default beating the home game

ok it might seem paradoxical but i feel I have much more trouble beating a home game were there are complete beginer than close beginer who have a sligh idea about what they are doing

especially if the beginners gets very lucky

do you have any tips in a game full of alling stations rebuys and sometimes very strange play like i had KA234 so i have a straigh and i bet all in etc

maybe it is just variance but when I don t hit anything or hit but get outrdrawn a few times i feel it much more difficult to play

the game is more about socializing and having a good time
with some coleeges, all work in finance and some are much more senior and have nearly unlimited fininacial power
it is a rebuy for 2 out 10 plyer tourney

10£ buy in

not rare to see 2-3 guys rebuying 6-8 times and sometimes just playing all in any hand all competitors and some quite wild

any guess at what is the proper strategy
Old 09-17-2007, 10:15 PM

Default Re: beating the home game

the only thing you do is value bet in this poker game. no bluffs, no fancy play, just value bets. you will win because you will know how to get more out of your opponents than they can get out of you.
Old 09-18-2007, 04:08 AM

Just play ABC poker. My home game is the only place where i play ABC poker. It works. Don't bluff, don't make any fancy plays, play to the strength of your cards. Like benneh said, value betting is the key to these home games. If you have a hand, put a big bet on the river, and it will most likely get called with something like bottom pair [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 09-18-2007, 04:58 AM

Loosen up preflop...play tighter postflop. See flops for cheap and look to make big hands. Get off your hand fast when u miss the flop. Don't aggressively bet hands like TP in multiway pots. Don't bluff. Don't Slowplay. Limp/RR with a big PP like AA;KK from EP. Realize that you have to make some big hands to beat this game, and when u do bet agressively...you'll get paid off. Remember that although you're playing more hands pre...u still have to be patient+discliplined after the flop.
Old 09-18-2007, 01:40 PM

The average home game is really a thing unto itself.

The main thing to remember is that you need to change your regular game up and the reason you are frustrated is because you're trying to apply your skill in the same way you apply it in tournaments or online or whatever. You just have to find the right formula, but the nice thing is you probably have the most skill and sooner or later, you'll be able to take advantage of that.

Here are the things I find annoying about the home game:

1. Lots of talking and distraction which tends to annoy me and get me off my game.
2. Inexplicable moves with nothing.
3. Lots of limping and no regard for betting patterns or position.
4. Much more slow-playing big hands.

Things I like about home games:

1. Patience tends to pay off (people come to home games looking for action, so if you wait and be patient, you can often find yourself in many positive situations)
2. People are easier to read.
3. Checks usually mean what you think they mean and when they don't, they're usually easier to read.

Try this three-step strategy: be patient (raise with your good pre-flop hands and feel free to limp when others do, but fold more often in multi-way pots), avoid multi-way pots and isolate when you can, don't ignore position.

The thing in home games is that players will stay in hands chasing inside straights, flushes, and other weird hands, so you have to be extra cautious when danger appears on the flop. Don't get sucked in by all-in bets that appear the be benefitting some players. My experience in the home game has been that the person with the most chips early rarely has them at the end, so I just look at an early big stack as an opportunity and I look to isolate him when possible later in the game.
Old 09-19-2007, 05:56 PM

thx for the answers will try