Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-04-2007, 07:08 PM

Default Re: Which book(s) for $5/10 limit online?

[ QUOTE ]
Read ITH. The hand examples are relevant.

[/ QUOTE ]

What book is ITH?
Old 09-04-2007, 09:42 PM

The limit games online are super tough now that's for sure. You will be playing on tables full of tight aggressive players and your edge will be nowhere near what it used to be. Like Jeff says, even some of the .50/1 games are tough now. Having said that, while people do seem to play tighter and more aggressively, I find a lot of them are very weak post flop and refuse to fold their strong 1 pair or AK type hand in the face of serious action. A lot of these guys also have a tendency to refuse to fold any ace high type hand in the shorthanded games and are showdown bound with any ace. You can use that to your advantage.
Old 09-05-2007, 04:34 AM

I find this an interesting topic. Players whom I respect, on the site where I have spent %70 of my time over the last couple of years, state that the $5/10 limit is about on par with most b&m $40/80 limit games. I tend to believe this may be true because they are by far the toughest low limit games I have ever seen online.
I also play on other sites where the usual game is more like the proverbial loose-passive low-limit games that most poker authors always seem to consider the norm. In these games %80 of the players really 'do not have a clue'.
Bringing this on thread.
If you plan on playing more than one site you may need more than one book to maximize your value. For example: HEPEP for the tough games and SSHE for the others. Or, for a a book that is less specialized, something like matthew hilger's "Internet Texas Holdem" will get you off on the right foot in either game.
Old 09-17-2007, 01:09 PM

I can vouch for those that are saying .5/1 online is equivalent to much higher stakes live. I had never played limit before but had basic knowledge of the game from reading and watching it on TV so took a shot at a 5/10 game on a cruise over the summer and did pretty well. I thought it was pretty easy so I played some limit on full tilt and got torn apart at first, now that I've been playign limit online for a couple months I'm winning but at first it took me by suprise the difference in toughness between live and online.
Old 09-17-2007, 04:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Wait a minute...

.50/$1 is like 10/20 live? Jesus Christ. Guess things have really changed since I played a few years ago.

[/ QUOTE ]

There really isn't the kind of loose money in online limit games that there was, say, 3-4 years ago. Some .10 - .20 cent online games that I've played in are tougher than live $10-$20, though most are about the same and a few are easier. It isn't rare to see it though.
Old 09-18-2007, 12:58 AM

10011101 by 01100001
Old 09-18-2007, 01:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What book is ITH?

[/ QUOTE ]

Internet Texas Hold'Em by Hilger

link