Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-16-2007, 06:59 PM

Default 4/8 Live QJo in CO flop nuts in 7 way pot...

Live 9 handed 4/8 limit hold'em game. Game is typical, 6 calling station fish, 1 nit, and 2 TAGs (me included [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] ). Anyways, 3 EP/MP limpers, I'm in CO w/ QJo, I limp, TAG button raises, 5 calls, I call.

T 9 8 rainbow flop.

Everyone checks to me. PFR c-bets about 80-85% of the time, even in multiway pots, so obv. I was going for a check raise to trap everyone in. I figure if I lead here, he will iso w/ any overpair, killing my action from hands drawing dead, like A7. So I check, PFR checks.

T 9 8 6 amazingly, board is still rainbow.

BB leads for $8, 2 folds, MP calling station calls $8, a couple folds, I decide to just call...trapping in a limit game, I know I should have raised. Everyone else folds.

T 9 8 6 6

BB leads, MP RAISES to $16...Hero? MP hasn't been too out of line on rivers, but has been caught stabbing w/ low pairs on scary boards. Crying call? Value raise? Champion fold? I'm lost here.
Old 09-16-2007, 11:50 PM

Default Re: 4/8 Live QJo in CO flop nuts in 7 way pot...

Yikes, that is the problem of letting a hand check through like this. But I think you know that. I would think that with that flop that even if you bet your made hand that you are getting some callers. If you don't oh well.
Old 09-17-2007, 02:51 AM

Preflop: good

Flop: I basically always bet here but I think checking is fine if you are sure about your read.

Turn: Not raising sucks.

River: MPs play is rather weird but I'm thinking raise for value.
Old 09-17-2007, 02:57 AM

Limp calling PF is good.

Flop is fine, if he's a bet monkey than just let him.
Realize that he has AK or <66 here. Not raising this turn is terrrrrrrribbbbbleeeeeeeeeee. Why?

As played I'd 3bet that river. F that guy. Seriously. I mean the flop was checked and someone bet in to him on the turn, he'll call with a 6 here every time so him having nothing but three sixes is way likely. You also have the nut straight. If he had two pair on the turn he probably would have raised it.

I like to 3bet here and say something like HI-YA
Old 09-17-2007, 07:30 AM

Preflop: I'm going to go against the tide and say to fold preflop, since QJo is a holding with which it is so easy to get caught holding a second best hand. The fact that you aren't on the button is even more reason to let it go.

Flop: This is a tough decision. Of course, you don't want the TAG to raise with his possible overpair and clear out most of the limpers, although calling stations who are chasing a straight will likely call two if they are calling one. In addition, when you slowplay to let others catch up, you are hoping they catch a second best hand. On this board, the majority of hands which can catch up are going to take half of your pot. Indeed, it's not like someone who catches two-pair or trips is going to go crazy with a potential straight staring them in the face. Consequently, I don't have a huge preference between checking and betting, since so much of it depends on the unknown cards in the TAG's hand.

Turn: You have to raise this. Anyone who is chasing a straight isn't going to pay on the river after they whiff, and you would desperately like to get a hand such AQ/KQ to fold (or at least pay two bets for the chance to split the pot). In addition, If a J or 7 falls, you will be lucky to get one bet on the river, never mind two, from hands w/o a straight.

River: This street is a mess, in part because of your turn play. Although the MP raiser may simply have a 6 or even a 7 (since even calling stations are capable of slowplaying a turned straight multiway), you need to think about the BB, who could easily have a flopped set that he slowplayed, given either FPS or fear over the board. Nonetheless, I would probably 3-bet, and cry if I have to put any more money into this pot.
Old 09-17-2007, 04:04 PM

If you raise river, how often do you expect BB to call vs. fold? If we know that BB will call, then I'd definitely raise here. But if there is a significant chance of BB calling one but folding for two, then I figure a call more profitable. IMO, MP is likely to call our raise when we are ahead and reraise when we're behind so if BB is out of the equation a raise can't have much value.

BTW, do not fold this here.
Old 09-17-2007, 04:39 PM

rrrrraise the turn, anyone with a 7,J,two pair, set is calling. That smooth call is so bogus and you know it.

I probably would've bet the flop for the same reason, lots of people are calling (even if TAG raises). A decent TAG will often check overcards here because the board is good for many people and no one's folding. I like the c/r attempt if you are in early position and the TAG is to your direct left.

I aint folding the river at any point even if BB and MP cap it (a 7 looks like the nutz - no one raised the turn!). But I like coldcalling slightly better than raising to go for overcalls and avoid the risk of going headsup with a passive MP's 4-bet and no overlay.
Old 09-17-2007, 05:38 PM

Preflop is marginal, depends on how you play compared to the rest of the field.

Flop, not betting here isn't great. Lots of hands that are calling one here are calling 2, anything with a J, two pair, or a pair and a straight draw are probably sticking around. Worrying about thinning the field is legit, but you'd need to be virtually certain PFR is betting.

Turn, raise this every single time. You've lost some action by slowplaying the flop, and continuing to play slowly will leave you guessing on the river. Also, as chesspain notes, lots of river cards will kill your action when people think it is obvious they are beat. A Jack or 7 for sure, but also a T, 9, or 8 will stop lots of people cold.

River gets easier if you raise the turn.
Old 09-17-2007, 05:51 PM

My two cents:

Preflop: Limp away
Flop: Bet. You really think calling two cold is going to dissuade them from continuing? Phooey I say, Phooey! Bet/3Bet this.
Turn: As played, raise. If you bet the flop....raise. You still have the nuts.
River: As played, I'd call, hoping to collect one more bet from the leader. If there was more money out there I'd probably also just call.