Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-17-2007, 01:34 PM

Default situation play question

6 handed nl/holdem if u raise and win a couple pots then get dealt a low pocket pair like 4's in starting pos, is it bad to fold them sometimes?
Old 09-17-2007, 04:44 PM

Location: Clinging to the binomial theorem like a drunk to a lamppost
Default Re: situation play question

I can't think of a lot of situations where I would fold a pocket pair pre-flop in short-handed NLHE, when no one has raised ahead of me. As long as my opponents and I have reasonable stacks (improving implied odds) I'd probably limp in here and see if I can flop a set.
Old 09-17-2007, 04:47 PM

You're probably thinking in the right direction, however I'd never fold 44 there because if the table is beginning to think you are full of it you can easily get someone's stack if you hit a set.

What is right about what you are saying is that due to your table image you might drop a few hands off the bottom of your raising range and fold them, for example hands like A9, KT, QTs, that kind of stuff.

It is good that you are thinking about table image.
Old 09-17-2007, 04:48 PM

I limp with them, sometimes min raise. So many people fear the min raise that they don't reraise unless they have a monster. Then if you catch a set you are in good position to win a big pot. That being said, I am very new so this may not be the best advice.
Old 09-18-2007, 12:44 AM

This is a great situation to raise. As mentioned above your table image in the past few hands maybe a little loose. Your implied odds are good here if you hit your set as you will be played back at a little more than usual allowing you to extract more value. low pp's are easy to dump when you miss the flop, you want to keep your loose image up to protect your good hands.