Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-17-2007, 01:42 PM

Default Re: Borgata $20/$40, Two Staking Opportunities

Way to lay down the hammer TT [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 09-17-2007, 01:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Take a shot.

NineinchAl could answer better than me.
I do not think I have ever seen that dude with less than 5 racks of red at the table.

[/ QUOTE ]

I buy in for six racks, this way when I get scalped it looks like I'm winning.

But seriously folks, I recently dropped down to 10/20 due to my bankroll considerations. I sunk about 200 benjamins; which was my entire bankroll into my Boardwalk apartment with the 20/40 I won in that game.

I started off by getting staked 60/40, 60% for me and 40% for my friend Fat Slim. He would play 2/5 NL while I grinded 20/40. He was happy to do it too, since every time I romped through "Candy Land" it was the all you can eat buffet for a decade. In fact whenever we made this deal, we never lost even one time.

After a few months I pumped up my roll to about 6 or 7 grand, I had the confidence to run on my own. Fat Slim wasn't too happy since his gravy train ended. However, I will seek him out to get back in. Gotta be careful though in 20/40 though; sometimes these waters are shark infested, so its more like "Jaws" than "Candy Land." Gotta know your players.
Old 09-17-2007, 02:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[image]Way to lay down the hammer TT [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL, I know for a fact that you agree with me you nutcase. I drove past AC this weekend on my way to Cape May. First time ever I was down there without playing poker, so sad. Hope all is well!
Old 09-17-2007, 02:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[image]Way to lay down the hammer TT [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL, I know for a fact that you agree with me you nutcase. I drove past AC this weekend on my way to Cape May. First time ever I was down there without playing poker, so sad. Hope all is well!

[/ QUOTE ]

I do agree with you, chances are if you need a stake..well never mind.

I visited Cape May in June with my wife. We made a nice day of it. We went to the Zoo during the day, then to the Lobster House for an early dinner and to Sunset Beach to watch the sunset.

Things are well.
Old 09-17-2007, 02:40 PM

6-7k in a 20/40 game is less than 175BB, its really not enough to safely play because your risk of ruin is too high. Assuming your standard deviation is 25BB/hour and you make a solid 1BB/hour (very realistic for a live game for a good player) you have a 57.12% chance of going broke. If your SD is 15BB ($600/hour) then you have a 21% chance of going broke. If you increased your BR to 10k you have a bit more than 10% chance of going broke with the same standard deviation. In order to reduce your risk of ruin to 1% you need a 20k bankroll.

For those of you who are interesting in bankroll management please read Mason's excellent book Gambling Theory and other topics.
Old 09-17-2007, 03:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
6-7k in a 20/40 game is less than 175BB, its really not enough to safely play because your risk of ruin is too high. Assuming your standard deviation is 25BB/hour and you make a solid 1BB/hour (very realistic for a live game for a good player) you have a 57.12% chance of going broke. If your SD is 15BB ($600/hour) then you have a 21% chance of going broke. If you increased your BR to 10k you have a bit more than 10% chance of going broke with the same standard deviation. In order to reduce your risk of ruin to 1% you need a 20k bankroll.

For those of you who are interesting in bankroll management please read Mason's excellent book Gambling Theory and other topics.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am aware 6 or 7 k is not enough to avoid the risk of ruin at $20/$40. I was prepared to step down to 10/20 if I went down to $3k or so. However, I hit a good streak to the upside. I am one of those who read Mason's book and understand its implications. That's why I am grinding at $10/20 at this point. I will never have to go broke at 10/20 even if I have to dig into my pocket, since I got that kinda cash. I also anticipate I will safely be able to step up into 20/40 sometime early 2008.

"Gambling Theory and other Topics" was the most important work that I read in order to understand the swings I have to be able to endure in the course of becoming a winning poker player.

Thank you Mason...
Old 09-17-2007, 03:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you do choice number one when seated at the same table, that honestly sounds like collusion to me. Even if you didn't deliberately cheat, you are not going to care whether he or you wins a pot, and will prefer he wins to another player and may play accordingly, even if not intentionally. Even choice two would be a little sketchy if seated together at the same table.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's pretty disappointing that no one picked up on this.

The viability of the games depends on their integrity. We lose that, the recreational players will go away (I know I will) and without us tourists, all you pros will have to beat up on each other. My advice: earn some money and stake yourself, get staked legitimately, or get a second job.
Old 09-17-2007, 03:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you do choice number one when seated at the same table, that honestly sounds like collusion to me. Even if you didn't deliberately cheat, you are not going to care whether he or you wins a pot, and will prefer he wins to another player and may play accordingly, even if not intentionally. Even choice two would be a little sketchy if seated together at the same table.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, which is why we sat at different tables. Borgata had three and four games running on Friday.
Old 09-17-2007, 04:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1) this is not a B&M topic. Just because your going to play at the Borg doesnt mean its a B&M specific discussion, staking is a universal poker discussion regardless of limits/games/locations. In the future please keep non-B&M discussion in the appropriate forum, poker theory and beginners would both be good options.

2) In your history of 2+2 you have made only one post in the strategy forums. Spend your investment there rather than risking your friend's money. If I was in the staking business you would be a very poor risk, your "credit rating" would be the equivelent of someone who is on unemployment.

[/ QUOTE ]

Since I'm so embarrassed at how you laid the smackdown on me, which is obvious because I sent you a private message asking why you're a dick, I want to clear a few things up.

At no point did I ask if I was a good investment for my friend. My friend seemed to think I was, I mentioned this explicitly. I was asking for third-party opinions about taking a crossbook (or stake) in a game I've never played before and listed some of my qualifications. Thank you TT for your unsolicited off-topic opinion about whether I'm a good investment, I'll be sure to pass that on to the interested parties and then kill myself for sucking at life.

For those of you who think TT takes 2+2 too seriously, PM me for some hilarity. Thank you to those who understood what I was asking and answered despite my ignorance.
Old 09-17-2007, 04:30 PM

Since you are either a dog in the game or possibly breakeven I dont think it matters either way.