Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-17-2007, 12:23 PM

Default Re: Living by a military base

Living in a military town is crucial. Think of all the married women who have their husbands leave for a year at a time. Fish in a [censored] barrell.
Old 09-17-2007, 12:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Living in a military town is crucial. Think of all the married women who have their husbands leave for a year at a time. Fish in a [censored] barrell.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is so wrong on so many levels.
Old 09-17-2007, 12:35 PM

When I am actually commissioned, there is NO way I will live within walking distance of whatever base I work on. I was training in Mayport this summer, and stupidly, we picked a hotel room that was ~1 mile away from the base to stay in for the weekend. We were then warned by our training officer, base shuttle bus driver, and cab driver (BEFORE ARRIVING AT THE FREAKING HOTEL) to not walk around on the street in front of the hotel because it was too dangerous for young girls.

The Virginia Beach area, Norfolk and ODU area, is also pretty skanky, and I wouldn't feel comfortable walking around there at night.

Even driving to Quantico and Ft. Belvoir, you drive through skanky, poor neighborhoods that I wouldn't pull over to ask for directions in.

I think that the prevalence of underprivileged families and poverty that inherently surrounds military bases I've come into contact with (within recent memory) create an atmosphere of discomfort that far outweighs discomfort caused by fearing a terrorist attack.
Old 09-17-2007, 01:29 PM

why would you feel safer leaving by a military base? do you think Mexico is invading sometime soon?
Old 09-17-2007, 05:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]

The Virginia Beach area, Norfolk and ODU area, is also pretty skanky,

[/ QUOTE ]

Compared to what? I grew up in Virginia Beach and would say that it and Norfolk are some of the safer large cities I have been in. Are you from the boondocks?. Pretty much every bigger citie has some bad areas, but you can't even compare Norfolk and VB to places like DC,Baltimore,NYC,LA,Miami,Nashville,Chicago ETC ETC. where as far as I know don't have any Major military bases near them.

Also dont talk bad about ODU [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]
Old 09-17-2007, 01:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

cue whats his face the ooter
Old 09-17-2007, 01:45 PM

This thread has taken 2 different directions for me.

1 - Is it safe, from a crmie perspective, to live near a military installation.

2 - Is it safe from terrorists wanting to blow you up.

For me 1 hasn't been a problem anywhere I've lived and 2 does make some sense. But I think we're so spread out even if a terrorist made a direct hit on us it wouldn't do much for us in the big picture.

An example is if someone blew up Luke AFB in AZ. Last time I was there they had about 225 F-16' and F-15's. That is less than (it's been near 15 years since I've been there) 10% of our fighter fleet.
Old 09-17-2007, 02:06 PM

I used to live about a mile away from Barksdale (Bossier City, LA). You do think about the likelihood of terrorists bombing it and whatnot but it is a pretty remote chance.

As far as the crime, the area around the base was not that nice. I lived across the bridge in Shreveport, and there were many, many soldiers in our apt. complex but it was still pretty dangerous.

I got to see B-1 bombers take off and land all the time so that was a perk.
Old 09-17-2007, 01:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
ethically or practically?

Most of these military wives are probably farm girls and high school sweet hearts. Yeah, I would imagine that shooting fish in a barrel is a pretty good analogy.