Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-17-2007, 07:32 AM

Default Catch a bluff with TT?

Reads: Haven't seen this guy before but as far as I have noticed on this table he is not that good. Openlimp on BTN,
bets small on river and fold to a raise. And two orbits earlier we played this hand:

saw flop | <font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

Button ($193.70)
SB <font color="#C00000">SB ($225.25)</font>
BB <font color="#C00000">BB ($200.00)</font>
UTG ($218.10)
UTG+1 ($188.00)
CO ($186.60)

Preflop: , 4 folds, SB calls 1.00, BB raises to 6.00, SB calls 6.00.

Flop (16.00) J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
SB checks, BB checks.

Turn (16.00) 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
SB bets 6.00, BB calls 6.00.

River (28.00) 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
SB bets 28.00, BB calls 28.00

BB shows 5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
SB shows T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

SB wins 84.00 with A straight, Ace high

my river call is stupid but don't think to much about that...

With that hand in mind I screw the other one up. What confused me the most is that he instachecked the flop, almost in the dark. How should I play this river?

200 NL, hand converted by the iPoker Converter at Talking-Poker

saw flop | <font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

Button ($240.10)
SB ($201.00)
BB ($292.15)
UTG ($201.00)
UTG+1 <font color="#C00000">UTG+1 ($210.60)</font>
CO Hero ($205.70)

Preflop: Hero is in the CO with T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
1 fold, UTG+1 calls 2.00, Hero raises to 10.00, 1 fold, SB calls 9.00, 1 fold, UTG+1 raises to 32.00, Hero calls 24.00, 1 fold.

Flop (80.00) 4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
UTG+1 checks, Hero checks.

Turn (80.00) 5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
UTG+1 bets 32.00, Hero calls 32.00.

River (144.00) 2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
UTG+1 moves all-in for 144.60, 1 fold
Old 09-17-2007, 07:38 AM

Default Re: Catch a bluff with TT?

I just fold TT pre until I've got a really good read on the guy especially for 32$, otherwise it's too hard to play. Look at what happened, you got a decent flop (no Q, K, or A) and still had to check behind then could only call a tiny bet and still had no clue where you were on the river.
Old 09-17-2007, 07:43 AM

Another thing is if you are calling this pre with TT because you think he is 3betting very light you basically want to be cr-ing ai on flops like this especially when you put so much in pre imo.
Old 09-17-2007, 07:46 AM

Players are checking to you and it seems to be confusing you with medicoare hands . Fold these turns. Not that good? Just stay away from this guy and wait for something nice like AA KK or a set.
Old 09-17-2007, 07:48 AM

Fold the river.
Old 09-17-2007, 07:50 AM

Old 09-17-2007, 07:51 AM

Nick what do you think of his pre-flop call?
Old 09-17-2007, 08:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Nick what do you think of his pre-flop call?

[/ QUOTE ]
I think I would call preflop, but it's really close. Our hand both have sd value and set value and we need to combine those for the call to be +EV. If SB comes along we're getting 3.2:1 on our call 3-ways and in that case the call is probably ok even it only was for set value (we'd need to make $140 postflop on average and vs 2 players with full stacks I think that's reasonable).

If it becomes HU to the flop we still need to shove over some c-bets. I think a board like this has to be shove for example. Now that he checks I think checking behind aiming for a cheap sd is better though. Villain seems donkish enough for this to be a slightly +EV, his range is basically AA/KK or air. Maybe sometimes something like AK.

I wouldn't fault just folding preflop though. Given the limited info we have on villain this is ok until we get a better read, folding is def less variance.

Reminds me of this old hand I posted in the beginning of my 6-max NL career.
Old 09-17-2007, 09:55 AM

Yeah I don't know what to think about calling, he seems bad enough to call with worse hands if we get a rag flop (say he has 99 or something), but you will often run into better as well. It seems close, and we will often be forced to fold the best hand as well. I guess it boils down to personal preference somewhat. I think against a fish like this we can find better spots. Against an overaggro regular this might be a good spot to take a stand.
Old 09-17-2007, 09:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah I don't know what to think about calling, he seems bad enough to call with worse hands if we get a rag flop (say he has 99 or something), but you will often run into better as well. It seems close, and we will often be forced to fold the best hand as well. I guess it boils down to personal preference somewhat. I think against a fish like this we can find better spots. Against an overaggro regular this might be a good spot to take a stand.

[/ QUOTE ]
Fwiw, on the flop the pot is big enough that we don't care much that worse won't call. If he has AK or some kind of air often enough we don't really need him to call with marginal hands to make shoving the flop correct.