Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-17-2007, 12:27 AM

Default Re: Go Pro? advice from Sbrugby

[ QUOTE ]
college takes MAX 2 hrs a day unless u are an idiot, and if u play poker good enough to go pro u obv arent

seriously, u only need to go to class every other day tops, ur teacher will post notes online and besides he will just reiterate what is already said in the book, just read the book 2 days b4 the test, most classes dont have homework that is graded, and if they do it will only be like 10% of ur grade

maybe once every 2 months u will have to sacrifice a weekend to write a paper, big deal

people that act like college is a huge time drain make me lol

[/ QUOTE ]
That depends a lot on your college. If that's what your college is like, then drop out regardless of your plans to go pro. You're wasting your time and money, and getting absolutely nothing out of it. Thankfully, any college worth attending is a lot more rigorous than a mislabeled high school that you're describing.
Old 09-17-2007, 12:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I know it depends on personal abilities and intellects, but I agree with Jamougha.

I think a person who gets a Bachelor's in a hard science or Engineering, has put more effort into their collegiate career than a person with a Bachelor's in Political Science AND a law degree.

[/ QUOTE ]
QFT. Anyone who's in college getting an engineering degree (like Townsend was, IIRC), is in for a wringer. If you're not constantly sleep-deprived towards the end of the semester, then you have top notch time management skills. I'm speaking from experience here.
Old 09-17-2007, 01:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
go to college, get a degree, make money on a consistent basis, that is the way to go

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah aba or cts should def. go to school for 4 years to get a job that might pay $50k/year.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not many people make much more then that at their first job out of college. If you do then you are one of the lucky ones.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, Obv. bumped a bit because you get raises or whatever, but a lot of 1/2nl players are making 50k off rakeback alone

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-17-2007, 02:09 AM

I'm all for playing poker for a living... but theres no way in hell I'd rest my life on a game. Having something to fall back on is a must. Hell, who knows.. tomorrow the government could ban poker entirely... and then what? Obviously that case is extreme, but you get the point.

Im majoring in accounting and I have tons of free time... I play atleast 20 hours of poker a week.
Old 09-17-2007, 02:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm all for playing poker for a living... but theres no way in hell I'd rest my life on a game. Having something to fall back on is a must. Hell, who knows.. tomorrow the government could ban poker entirely... and then what? Obviously that case is extreme, but you get the point.

Im majoring in accounting and I have tons of free time... I play atleast 20 hours of poker a week.

[/ QUOTE ]

You could lose your job tommorow... and then what?
Old 09-17-2007, 03:22 AM

Degrees are generally overpriced and -EV strictly financially speaking. Although a 4 yr degree holder is expected to earn about $1mm more over his lifetime, simply investing the tuition money yields $2mm. Is the social value worth $1mm?

Try a community college and then a cheap state college instead.
Forbes article

Boston Globe article

Additionally, if you're any good at poker at all you can easily make 100k/year working a standard work week at .25/.50 cent NL. 50NL should pretty much always be easily beatable. Yay job security.
Old 09-17-2007, 04:37 AM

what about those that never got into college?
Old 09-17-2007, 06:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i was dating this chick in the mortgage loan business, she was always getting on me about how playing poker semi pro(i just work part time) was sooo risky and irresponsible. she obv is flipping out because that whole industry just went to the crapper. not much is guaranteed in a free market economy. being a winning player at a level that pays well enough to make a nice living(and save money/invest) is probably as close to a guaranteed income as you can get
Old 09-17-2007, 08:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Get another job?
Old 09-17-2007, 08:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i was dating this chick in the mortgage loan business, she was always getting on me about how playing poker semi pro(i just work part time) was sooo risky and irresponsible. she obv is flipping out because that whole industry just went to the crapper. not much is guaranteed in a free market economy. being a winning player at a level that pays well enough to make a nice living(and save money/invest) is probably as close to a guaranteed income as you can get

[/ QUOTE ]
Anybody with a college degree can retool relatively easily to another line of work, in the possible but unlikely event that your entire industry goes to crapper. What is a poker player going to do when poker popularity wanes and the fish simply refuse to part with as much money as they used to, while the number of 50NL sharks keeps growing? Townsend will probably never be out of work, but a lot of 50NL sharks are on the margins of the poker economy.