Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-16-2007, 02:24 PM

Default Maintaining concentration in long sessions

Does anyone have any advise about playing for a long session at the poker table?

I enjoy playing SNGs (although I usually have to take of at least an hour break between each one) and I want to start to regularly play tournaments or consecutive SNGs. The problem is my concentration seems to disapear after about an hour and I start making poor decisions.

I was wondering if anyone had any tips for playing over long periods. Is it preparation, or do people build up a mental stamina over a period of time? etc.
Old 09-16-2007, 09:24 PM

Default Re: Maintaining concentration in long sessions

taking a break to eat and piss usually help me, though Im a degen and usually wont eat for 8-hours and not piss either if Im stuck or Im rushing
Old 09-16-2007, 11:02 PM

I usually have TV on in the background or am listening to music. It usually helps me stay on an even keel.

-Jerry
Old 09-16-2007, 11:28 PM

aderall....??
Old 09-17-2007, 03:02 PM

From hours of MTT play, occasional back to back SnG sessions and recently trying to improve my cash game skills I personally have found that keeping the tv with something thats interesting but not consuming (ie recorded wsop episodes) helps me in the down time but allows me to still track the action at the tables and pick up on better reads. I also use that time to read articles and books or just listen to music but I never just sit there staring at the screen. Some people say you should be constantly watching who youre playing (unless your multitabling and just play a core game at all of them.) and i assume they are right.

One bit I picked up in a recent cardplayer article was about finishing out the planned time on your session whether you are way up or just made back your losses. What I took from this was setting a time to stop playing (or in sng terms when the next one ends) and playing it til the last minute or hand. When I know when Im going to stop It helps me keep focus.

Most people I talk to lose focus because they arent playing every hand and start calling things they have no business in. Luckily I personally dont fall into this often because Id rather play a good hand confidently and stare at my fingers for most of the time then play crappy hands and be at the worst of it at showdown.
Old 09-17-2007, 05:54 PM

I can play for the whole day and don't have any problems with it. I played 10 hours straight, multitabling cash games. Otherwise, it is good if you take a break. I take a break to eat and piss and sometimes to do a little meditation, yoga, or go out or whatever I feel doing it.

I found that yoga really helps if you can get it in your daily session. It takes about half an hour and it really helps. You rest your eyes and stretch so that you can play again and are in good shape.

But if you don't multitable, you don't even need a break, I believe. If you only play one table, you can even make pushups in front of computer. Never tried, but maybe...
Old 09-18-2007, 06:19 AM

Playing 4+ tables at once may keep you interested since you will be playing more hands and seeing more cards. Also, if you want to play live, I would recommend smoking some pot if you can think and keep control of yourself(some people can some people can't a lot of top players I know recommend it). I was smoking every hour or so at Morongo live and my intuition was better than ever. I was also very calm, relaxed and patient. Also,make sure you are not hungry, because if you are too hungry that is all you can think about.
Old 09-18-2007, 06:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Playing 4+ tables at once may keep you interested since you will be playing more hands and seeing more cards. Also, if you want to play live, I would recommend smoking some pot if you can think and keep control of yourself

[/ QUOTE ]

This is really horrible advice imo. What helps me a lot in the big buy in online mtt's is meditation music. I'm probably the most cynical person in the world and really wrote off all that hippy clap-trap but meditation really does work and will increase your focus.
Old 09-18-2007, 07:35 AM

Exercise and diet if your real serious. If you smoke - Stop smoking if you are real serious although if you are not willing to stop - make sure you have one before you go in if playing live and you are not allowed to smoke there as reducing any hint of withdrawal will likely affect your game. Go to the toilet before hand. Don't play drunk, stoned, or with music on. (The exception may be where you are playing a game where you are using a memorised strategy by rote cos your opponents are complete idiots - in which case you don't have to worry about concentrating anyways but sticking to your strategy unless something really obvious pops out at you to change it...ie someone is supertight their blind...etc).
Old 09-18-2007, 09:50 AM

Don't smoke, man! There are easiest ways to relax and be in a good shape.