Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2007, 05:41 PM

Default Re: Heads up No limit Holdem Strategy

no offense taken.
Old 09-15-2007, 06:54 AM

The book you need is a book that gives at least one strategy that covers all streets, all flop types, raised or not raised pot, position and other factors, and the strategy in each case depends more or less of the opponent. As the situation is now, you are mostly on your own, even if you would find many texts about it as the detailed strategy has about never been printed before, no matter what the form and the number of players.

The nl holdem books out there are about full ring nl holdem, about tournaments and offline (not online) games. I don't personally play any of them but shorthanded nl and limit holdem and heads up limit holdem and only the shorthanded limit holdem has a good book out there (8 by my standards - the second best strategy book I know gets a 6 from me, and if there wouldn't be that 8 book I would say there's no *book* worth reading but the theory of poker. At best they are general books for dummies).

There are some good players out there, or so they say, and with PokerTracker one could collect their hand histories at least from prima and tilt. But it's mostly not the way you should play against your opponents as the strategy depends of the opponents' style of play.
Old 09-15-2007, 07:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
writing a good heads up book is nearly impossible

[/ QUOTE ]

The number of players doesn't matter. I know for a fact that one can write a good book especially about heads up play. Heads up play just is not as popular. The better players who also have an analytical mind (if not, they can't teach as well) know also or more so in heads up situations what is their more or less detailed general strategy - covering more or less all situations.

The general strategy may or may not more or less cover the still more detailed style of the opponents (many types of e.g. hyper-aggressive opponents), and it may not cover the likely extra factor of what has happened in the previous hands other than it effects the factor of what he thinks about you. But all those extra factors drop more or less into some style; one is often not playing against the same style all the time (on some specific street), though the opponent is the same.

At this time the hand examples are used, no general detailed strategy other than preflop, and from much part the river. The next step of poker literature evolution will cover detailed general strategy of the other streets.
Old 09-15-2007, 08:42 AM

the kill everyone book appears to have a chapter on heads-up play.

I hate playing heads up as i havent a clue how to play it, and am sure lots of other players are in the same boat and would like to see a book on the subject.
Old 09-16-2007, 08:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You are not going to find any good books, because heads up players are guarded in their concepts.

[/ QUOTE ]

True, but I would have thought that all the best books over the last, well, since SuperSystem have revealed things that the pros felt to be trade secrets. There'll always be someone prepared to break the magicians' code if it's right for them, so hopefully it's only a matter of time for NLHU.

[ QUOTE ]
The player pool is very small.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't agree with this. I've played over a thousand HU SNGs, and only once have I come up against an opponent I had played in the past.

[ QUOTE ]
Also, mind that writing a good heads up book is nearly impossible.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure this is right either, and I hope it isn't. As you say, a lot of the concepts are soft concepts, but that doesn't mean they can't be written about. Anyone who wants to get good at HU will have realise that they will to absorb and apply general principles and soft concepts, rather than being told whaat cards to play and how. And a book can certainly teach that.
Old 09-16-2007, 08:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I know for a fact that one can write a good book especially about heads up play.

[/ QUOTE ]

How? Who tried to write one (you?)?
Old 09-16-2007, 06:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I know for a fact that one can write a good book especially about heads up play.

[/ QUOTE ]

How? Who tried to write one (you?)?

[/ QUOTE ]
Writing a book on HU play would proboly be really hard and is more HU play is more dependent on reads and goin with your gut feelings
Old 09-20-2007, 04:19 PM

Okay, for those that say it is possible. Where would you start, if you decided to write a book?

What would chapter one deal with?

What do you think would be the important concepts.

What should be the foundation of playing? Would you suggest playing and learning Limit beforehand?

Would you write it for beginner's or for experienced players.

Mostly, what would be the underlying concept that would drive the book?

This could be helpful for those who are picking through the various books available.
Old 09-20-2007, 07:22 PM

Hi Everyone:

We just talked to one of our authors about doing a book for heads-up no-limit hold 'em, and we told him to give it a shot. That's my only comment for now.

Best wishes,
Mason
Old 09-20-2007, 07:25 PM

How much does he need to not write it?

(joke) ha ha.