Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-12-2006, 01:10 AM

Default 100NL KK raised on the flop, best line?

Villain is 52/28/4.4, no other read.
Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ Hero (5 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

SB ($114)
Hero ($96)
UTG ($70.30)
MP ($108.85)
Button ($235.10)

Preflop: Hero is BB with K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.50.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP calls $1, Button calls $1, SB (poster) completes, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $6</font>, MP folds, Button calls $6, SB folds.

Flop: ($16) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $13</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to $26</font>, Hero calls $13.

With the fair amount

Turn: ($68) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets $63</font>, Hero calls $63 (All-In).

River: ($194) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: $194

On the flop: I think it's between a 3bet and call, with a fold out of the question against someone this loose and aggressive, as he could have a wide range of hands, including alot of draws. I decided a 3bet would fold out to many hands I beat while along having the better hands call me. My plan was to call and reevaluate based on the turn. Maybe a 3bet would have been best with the large amount of cards I don't want ot see on the turn? (any diamond + any card ten or higher). Or maybe I just need to be good enough to fold to this flop raise, but I think I'm leaving alot on the table by doing that. I just feel that I'm taking one pair hands to far after being raised on the flop.

On the turn: This is the blankest blank to ever be blank so I'm happy. My plan when I checked was check raies all in, but with the stack sizes as they were in relation to the pot this was really stupid. I guess I should have led out or just pushed as I would obviosly have to call any raise if I made any reasonable size.

After typing all that I guess this hand is easier than than I originally thought. Either that or I'm really bad and my thinking is way off. I guess I just need confirmation more than anything.

Thanks alot.

-starvs
Old 03-12-2006, 03:08 AM

Default Re: 100NL KK raised on the flop, best line?

Looks like a set.

With the big preflop raise and no Ace on board I would probably get it in on the turn though. If a set so be it.
Old 03-12-2006, 03:31 AM

i think your play is fine if he likes to bet the turn a lot. i think pushing the turn is also fine. a 52/28/4 will have a million hands here. some of them are sets/2 pairs, and that hurts. but a lot of them are draws or AT/KT type hands, and you're ahead here more than you're behind i think.

jon
Old 03-12-2006, 07:23 AM

I think I just push the flop v a villain with those stats. Most of the time he has a draw of some kind or tp(and villains with these stats usually can't lay tp down).

Calling and waiting for a blank turn isn't awful but you need to push when it hits. Villain checking behind would of been ugly here.

Paul
Old 03-12-2006, 08:00 AM

Yeah bet(allin) turn or 3bet flop, don't wanna let him get there for free
Old 03-12-2006, 01:20 PM

Okay thanks for teh info guys. He ended up having me crushed with 33 like many said they though he would.
Old 03-12-2006, 01:22 PM

id def 3 bet is since there are many possible draws out there. on a safer board i may just call and trap him on the turn for all of it
Old 03-12-2006, 01:46 PM

This looks very strongly like a set. The only hands you are beating at AT/JJ/QQ. With his stats I would strongly suspect him to raise all of those on the buttons, although I suppose AT is villian dependant. His limp/call/min-reraise line seems very suspicious (sp?) to me, as well as putting you exactly all-in. I'm not sure I would have the discipline to fold this... but I don't think I would be very happy with this hand. On the flop, I agree, he has a very wide range, but is he capable of raising a draw or does he freeze up and call down?

I know his PF stats are loose/aggro, but I know quite a few opponenets who will see the flop with almost any two cards, then suddenly turn into the weakest of the weak-tight when it doesn't fit. His stats let him have a draw, easy, but I would need a stronger read to call this turn bet than his pre-flop stats.
Old 03-12-2006, 10:47 PM

That's why I switched back to full ring, it's a lot easier to make these types of reads and you don't have to get married to an overpair.

Aside from that, I think if you are going to play short handed, you should be tracking other stats. # of hands is very important in determining the accuracy of villain's stats, aggression frequency is useful to see whether he's just check/folding a lot of flops, or if he's really an aggressor his AF says he is. Playing 6 max, he could just be taking a lot of stabs pre-flop if your table conditions were right, couple that with slightly above-average run of cards for that session and you get his seemingly aggro stats.

Other than that, this hand screams set and in full ring 100nl, I'll gladly throw away an overpair to a minraise. The minraise isn't a bluff at these levels, it's the only way they know to get the money into the pot without driving you out.

Another thing, QQ/JJ are not consistent with his play if you are following his stats because he's clearly a player who overvalues trap pairs yet he didn't raise you pre-flop.