Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-15-2007, 04:42 PM

Default $114: KQs in L2, shove or call river?

Villain isn't very good. Only hands I could really see him having though are AA, KK & AK. Do I need to value shove river, or protect my stack the times he shows up with AA or KK?

PokerStars Tournament, Big Blind is t30 (9 handed) Converter on pregopoker.com

UTG (t1610)
UTG+1 (t1290)
MP1 (t1420)
MP2 (t1450)
Hero (t2025)
CO (t705)
Button (t1420)
SB (t2170)
BB (t1410)

Preflop: Hero is in MP3 with Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
<font color="gray">UTG folds</font>, <font color="gray">UTG+1 folds</font>, <font color="gray">MP1 folds</font>, <font color="gray">MP2 folds</font>, Hero calls t30, <font color="gray">CO folds</font>, <font color="gray">Button folds</font>, SB calls t15, <font color="red">BB raises to t120</font>, Hero calls t90, <font color="gray">SB folds</font>

Flop: (t300) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 players)
BB checks, Hero checks

Turn: (t300) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 players)
<font color="red">BB bets t90</font>, Hero calls t90

River: (t480) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 players)
<font color="red">BB bets t450</font>, Hero calls or shoves?
Old 09-15-2007, 04:55 PM

Default Re: $114: KQs in L2, shove or call river?

Seems pretty unlikely that he has AA/KK b/c would he really check an overpair on a very juice flop for his hand? I wouldn't be surprised with his betting patterns if he had 88 and maybe even A4s. The only hand that calls your shove that you have beat here is AK though. Flatting is probably the prudent choice. Be pissed if he shows AK tho as you could've doubled up.

As a side note, I just muck QKs pre when I'm the first to open. I wouldn't mind limping from LP after a few limpers have entered the pot. It doesn't seem particularly likely that this will be a multiway pot. Your hand vs a raise means that it's probably dominated.
Old 09-15-2007, 05:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Seems pretty unlikely that he has AA/KK b/c would he really check an overpair on a very juice flop for his hand? I wouldn't be surprised with his betting patterns if he had 88 and maybe even A4s. The only hand that calls your shove that you have beat here is AK though. Flatting is probably the prudent choice. Be pissed if he shows AK tho as you could've doubled up.

As a side note, I just muck QKs pre when I'm the first to open. I wouldn't mind limping from LP after a few limpers have entered the pot. It doesn't seem particularly likely that this will be a multiway pot. Your hand vs a raise means that it's probably dominated.

[/ QUOTE ]

You wouldn't be surprised to see him turn over A4 or 88 here? But you're advocating a pf fold because I'm probably dominated?? Although I do agree that I probably shouldn't have been in there, your logic seems a little contradictory. Also, this is a perfect flop to slowplay a big pair because there's a pair on board (so he'd have AA or kings up), it's a flop that's unlikely to have helped me, and giving a free card could pretty easily make me the 2nd best hand.
Old 09-15-2007, 06:05 PM

Call or fold.... raise is a massive spew. I actually think it might be fold you only beat AK and he like full potted river.

nvm folding here is gross his line is just too weird. But still don't raise its a call fo sho.
Old 09-15-2007, 07:55 PM

i don't really want to play KQs once villian raises. sb is gonna fold a lot and i would really prefer to play this is a drawing hand or at least keep the pot small if you hit TP. once he raises, keeping the pot small may be tough and you will be dominated a decent chunk of the time.

as played, villians line is unusual. i just call the river. if you put him on AA KK AK, then there are 8 combinations of AK, 1 combo of KK, and 6 combos of AA. so AA KK is just as likely as AK. plus he could show up with 88/A4s/QQ. i dont think he calls your raise hardly ever with a hand you beat, so just call river.
Old 09-15-2007, 08:50 PM

Before the flop I thought that you were probably dominated by a variety of hands. After the hand played out, I thought there's a good chance he has 88 or a4s. So my logic isn't really contradictory, I was just trying to read his hand at various points in the course of the hand (and obviously my read changed from pre to riv). Limping QKs in this spot is too spewy.
Old 09-15-2007, 08:56 PM

I fold preflop both times, but a limp is ok, I think.
Call river, as said