Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-15-2007, 12:09 AM

Default SS table selection question

I've noticed that in the evenings (and other parts of the day, but especially evenings) there are quite a few 6 max tables that have everyone sitting with 40-60 BB. I normally try to sit at tables with as many full stacks as possible.

I've read some 2+2ers comment on how people that are not very good usually buy in for the 'recommended' amount instead of buying in full, so I was wondering if these tables could be more profitable if I pick my spots and tighten up a bit considering I don't have the implied odds that I do at full stacked tables.
Old 09-15-2007, 12:12 AM

Default Re: SS table selection question

In the micros there are so many tables that have 80%+ full stacks that are full of fish, I just don't see it being worth it. I would just stick to tables with mostly full stacks with an average table VPIP +30%
Old 09-15-2007, 12:22 AM

i dont mind 2 50 bb stacks, as long as everyone else either has me covered or has at least 100 bbs. they tend to be quite bad.
Old 09-15-2007, 03:50 AM

I just look for high % #s & less than 100 hands/hr.
When I sit, after about an orbit, I'd say at about 25% of tables, I have to leave because there are 3 or more regs at the table.
Otherwise, I just stay. I don't look @ stack sizes really. Might be a leak.
Old 09-15-2007, 04:54 AM

id rather sit with 5 bad 50 bb players than 5 nits with 100 bb
Old 09-15-2007, 05:56 AM

mook do you think 100+ hands/hr = nitfest or is it another reason?
Old 09-15-2007, 01:35 PM

I think 100+ hands/hr = not accurate, aka table broke up & got put back together/table is new.

Like... all the time you see tables at like 58% with 138 hands per hour. That's just ridiculous. No way is that even feasable, therefore the table either just filled up, and really there's no idea what kinda players are on it.
Old 09-15-2007, 02:00 PM

I've converted to the Fiksdal Method of table selection: Sit at an empty table and wait for the fish to come to you. Admittedly, you will have to learn how to deal with the shortstacks and get a handle on playing heads-up. Every so often you have some guy sit down who thinks that he is a heads-up expert and annoys you for a bit, but before long you find yourself at a table with an average VPIP% of 40+ and realize that you may well be the only one with anything resembling postflop skills.
Old 09-15-2007, 02:07 PM

I kind of like playing with shortstacks. theyre real easy to pick off, and they tend to commit chips with real marginal hands. Theyre good for 20-50 bb at a time, and you can usually get it in 80/20 vs them with ease
Old 09-15-2007, 02:22 PM

At the $5NL tables I play, I like to sit at tables full of 100BB+ stacks, whether they are fish or known sharks (yes there are quite a few regulars that play these games well and rake in money). I've run into quite a few 2+2esh-type, winning players in these games and I don't avoid them; I seek them out (I like winning money from good players, too). Skill-wise and thinking level-wise, I overmatch alot of people that I encounter at my tables so I disregard table selection. My only requirement is: The more money at the table, regardless of whether the opposition sucks or plays well, the more money I can win. Obviously, this will change the higher you go in limits but at this level, I don't think table selection for somebody like me is a priority.