Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-14-2007, 04:07 PM

Default Re: The Quitting Smoking Thread

[ QUOTE ]
I've been hearing alot of good stuff about Chantix as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just got a script for this. Starting it this coming week. Trip report to follow soon.

I have been smoking 1 to 2 packs a day for ~25 years. When I was a young teen, they did not press the smoking age law very much, and at 10 & 11 years old, my parents would send me to the corner store to buy their cigs, so I just started to buy some for myself also.

From what the Dr. told me, you have key slot type things in your brain, and when the nicotine enters your system, it fits into these key slots, and releases endorphins into your system, which is why it feels good when you light up a cig. Chantix blocks these key slots so that the nicotine can't get in, and at the same time releases some, but not as much endorphins as the nicotine would. After a little time, you lose the craving for smoking because it's not doing anything for you now, and the amount of endorphins released by the Chantix decreases, as to ween you off of it. it's like a 4 month process I think.