Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 05:37 PM

Default Re: September [censored] thread

i was thinking of investing in an overseas property if it could yield decent returns. i understand the whole credit crunch -> bad for global property in general, but there must be a few 'hotspots' out there. also as my funds are relatively low, i cannot buy myself a place for a few years here in london so would be good to buy elsewhere.

i saw the thread about holland which sounded interesting. fwiw, i read an article saying holland and germany were the only 2 european countries where properties were undervalued (uk and denmark were most overvalued).

if this is a stupid idea cool, just had a fair bit of thinking time recently and could be interesting.

given im starting a job in 4.5 weeks, im looking at ways to get a better return than it just sitting in a savings (although i have nothing against savings, just looking for something more interesting with better expected returns).
Old 09-13-2007, 05:49 PM

It's lonely out there leaning short today.
Old 09-13-2007, 07:15 PM

any thoughts on property in thailand? plan would be buy it, rent it out (although id want to use it a few times a year for a week), sell it in 4-5 years time.
Old 09-14-2007, 11:55 AM

I want to buy some gold stocks. I don't want to buy the commodity, just stocks with lots of potential for growth that deal with gold (mines, etc.). I remember reading before about some suggestions but couldn't find them...any ideas?
Old 09-14-2007, 12:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I want to buy some gold stocks. I don't want to buy the commodity, just stocks with lots of potential for growth that deal with gold (mines, etc.). I remember reading before about some suggestions but couldn't find them...any ideas?

[/ QUOTE ]

ill have some canadian mining picks by next week if you can wait. Im running a fund at my school and have 7 students under me who do my bidding. I assigned 3-4 to find good mining companies by wednesday [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-14-2007, 12:16 PM

haha, awesome ahnuld. I await your picks eagerly. Thoughts on V.CKG?
Old 09-14-2007, 12:19 PM

Be careful of stocks on the venture exchange. I learned that the hard way [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img].
Old 09-14-2007, 02:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I want to buy some gold stocks. I don't want to buy the commodity, just stocks with lots of potential for growth that deal with gold (mines, etc.).

[/ QUOTE ]

Yamana Gold (AUY) is one that I have tracked over the past 18-24 months and have been in and out several times over that period. Good company--has pulled back some over the past 6-8 weeks.

------------------------------

What about buying a stock off the bulletin board that is supposed to become listed later this year? I'd be using a small percentage (>5%) of my portfolio to purchase a few hundred shares of (CHCG), but I have never purchased an unlisted stock before.

I found the company while researching stocks through the "Stock Screener" function on my brokerage site (Scottrade). The company is an electronics retailer in China and has a solid quarterly and annual earnings growth record going back a few years and similar expectations in the next few quarters. Also, the ROE = +75%.

Watching the stock this week, it was a wild rollercoaster due to the failure to obtain private financing for future acquisitions and a conference call has been setup for Monday morning, possibly to discuss the financing issue.

----------------------------------

Any comments on whether the merger between SIRI & XMSR is going to be approved by the DOJ? I believe the executives have been given the old "wink and a nod" since they have begun purchasing stock in recent weeks. I bought 30 Jan08 $4 calls on SIRI two weeks ago after reading the SEC filing on insider stock purchases by executives of XMSR--the stock has run up +/-$.50 in the past 2 weeks to +/-$3.50.

dandy
Old 09-14-2007, 03:01 PM

Hey guys,

I'm looking to invest 10k, and a lot more as time goes on, in ETF's. I'm 20 years old and will not need this money for a while (hopefully). I'm thinking some basic stuff like SPY, DIA, etc. Any specific recommendations? Should I pick an international one as well? Let's say I start with 10k, how many funds should I choose? For example, 5 funds at 2k each, 3 for 3.3 each, 10 for 1k each, etc. Also, which site would be best for me to invest, I'm currently using the Bank of America program since its linked right to my bank account online but it doesn't offer a lot of the funds that I want to invest in. Thanks for any help!
Old 09-14-2007, 03:03 PM

check the sticky, theres a link to a good thread on passive index investing
Closed Thread