Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-13-2007, 09:10 PM

Default Re: 25nl: Flopped nut flush, turn line?

[ QUOTE ]

I really don't understand your post. Yes if he has those hands, then I want to bet the turn for value, because we have this big edge. But once the river pairs the board, then 'poof', away is our edge against those hands. You suggest making a decision on the turn and stick to it no matter what cards hit, probably because of stack sizes (i.e. being comitted when making a turn decision)? I mean, you don't stack off with AA every time on the turn because you were an 80% favourite pre-flop, right? Isn't re-evaluating every single street, i.e. adjusting your play to the cards that hit and how your opponent reacts, very important to be able to be a big winner in the long run? Or is all this just impossible with 100BB stacks and is the turn the last street to take a decision and stick with it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Basically the problem is that Villain range is wider than that [88+; ATs+; KTs+; QJs+; AJo+; KQo] you can't be sure that he has the hands you fear the most (KK,99,77,33 i just put them in my post to show the edge you have). Even when the board paired on the turn you are way ahead of his possible range making this a +EV play (vs a 9% range on the river you are a 94% favourite, vs any pair you are an 82% favourite) you have to make this play because it will be profitable in the long run. Plus the fact that if you bet the turn as stated you will be commited.

You have to re-evaluate during a hand that's fairly obvious but in this particular situation you can't fold the nuts for the previously stated reasons.

[ QUOTE ]

Regarding the 'monster under the bed syndrom': I think this is a not so respectful way to look at posters who try to get better by learning to recognize situations where their big made hands might be beat by a draw that just got there. Isn't the whole point to playing solid poker getting it with the best of it, and not to pay of the bigger made hand or the draw that hit? I realize that playing perfect in that regard is impossible, because you don't know opp's cards and therefore have to assign a range of hands on which you determine your equity etc.. And that leads to tough post-flop decisions and the 'should I fold .... posts'.

I hope I don't offend anyone because of this post. All I ask for is some elaboration about the subject, because "never, ever, ever folding!" a certain hand seems kind of a big leak to me, and the whole idea of planning a line and sticking with it regardless of the cards that hit seems weird to me...

Hope that made some sense...

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not disrespectful in my mind at all (I may have expressed it badly...) , everybody is here to get better, but you can't always fold because of the fear of being outdrawn. I'm not saying that you should never fold, just that when you put your stack in with the best of it you have played your hand well (as it was the case here), regardless of the results.

Hope that helps. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]