Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-13-2007, 04:41 PM

Default PS $60: meh spot with tptk vs good reg

Not played with villain too much but I get the impression he is one of the better regs at this level.

PokerStars Tournament, Big Blind is t50 (8 handed) Converter on pregopoker.com

UTG (t1565)
Hero (t1400)
MP1 (t1325)
MP2 (t1525)
CO (t3460)
Button (t1460)
SB (t1315)
BB (t1450)

Preflop: Hero is in UTG+1 with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
<font color="gray">UTG folds</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises to t150</font>, MP1 calls t150, <font color="gray">MP2 folds</font>, <font color="gray">CO folds</font>, <font color="gray">Button folds</font>, <font color="gray">SB folds</font>, BB calls t100

Flop: (t475) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (3 players)
BB checks, Hero checks, <font color="red">MP1 bets t50</font>, BB calls t50, Hero calls t50

Turn: (t625) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (3 players)
BB checks, Hero checks, MP1 checks

River: (t625) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (3 players)
<font color="red">BB bets t300</font>, Hero???
Old 09-13-2007, 04:49 PM

Default Re: PS $60: meh spot wiht tptk vs good reg

It looks to me like BB is trying to steal it since nobody has shown strength postflop. Your turn check probably has him thinking you have AQ or something.
Old 09-13-2007, 04:56 PM

He is a solid reg and I doubt he would randomly bluff in a spot like this. This looks like a vbet to me.
Old 09-13-2007, 05:22 PM

Why did you not bet the turn? On the river, are you considering a raise? 'Cuz it looks like a super easy call given your turn check.
Old 09-13-2007, 05:37 PM

Nm, Mike said it.
Old 09-13-2007, 05:49 PM

I think there is more value in checking turn and betting river
Old 09-13-2007, 06:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why did you not bet the turn? On the river, are you considering a raise? 'Cuz it looks like a super easy call given your turn check.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-13-2007, 06:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think there is more value in checking turn and betting river

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a SNG, you're in a 3-way pot on a drawy board, but one that's not that likely to have a made hand on the flop. Bet turn.
Old 09-13-2007, 07:06 PM

OK here is why I think this is really close.
There is a good chance villains cold calling range here is 22-JJ. He is not getting involved with hands like KJ/KQ and though I dont know him that well I reckon he mucks AQ pf a good deal of the time. So he check calls the flop. This could be any pp in his range including flopped sets. Despite what suzzer said, this is not a drawy board given the hand ranges for a early position pfr and two calls. OK he doesnt want to see 4 card straight out there but he will be in a pretty clear cut situation on the turn and is good enough to chuck a set to heavy action when/if the straight gets there. Raising and calling with a flopped set are both fine from villain. Personally I prefer raising because it gets chips in the pot vs 88-JJ when a lot of scary turns can kill the action. However it is feasable for villain to just call here with a set. Turn he checks again and is prob c/r with a set and either c/c or c/r other pps. There is obviously nothing wrong with betting the turn here but I like a check more. I check when I hit my king because
a)I pot control vs the good reg if he is slowplaying a set
b) I give random another chance to stab
c) My hand is face up when I bet turn and very few worse hands are going to call a decent sized bet, by checking I can bet most rivers and get called by a lot of worse hands.
*If the board was double suited or high and coordinated I invariably bet here but I do not agree that this is a dangerous board.
The river is a fairly harmless 2 and now the good reg wakes up from nowhere and bets just over 1/2 pot. Assuming he is not caling pfr's with KJ/KQ then he is either thin vbetting a hand like 88 or he is betting out wiht a set. I think the size of his bet is pretty important here. Vbetting just under 1/2 pot (say 200) tends to be hands in the thin vbetting range a lot more. His bet looks very strong to me and assuming he is not doing this with worse kings then I would lean toward giving him credit for a set and folding.
Old 09-13-2007, 07:26 PM

A good reg would never play a set that slow on the flop and turn. Flatcalling 50 chips, then hoping for a CR on the turn are horrible. You're basically putting him on 22 and nothing else. Now he might be a moron who would play a set that slow. But if he's a moron that opens his hand range, and decreases his "thinking player" status considerably.

And you never gave any reads on MP1. So I'm assuming typical $60s call zombie. Which means any PP, most aces, high broadway, or SCs. That range needs to be bet into on the turn.

"Turning your hand face up" is way way way down on the list of concerns when playing a $60 SNG in a 3-way pot. No one thinks. Just bet.