Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-13-2007, 01:14 PM

Default Re: Police Detained me : trip report.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Cops are trained in aggressive language and inciting hatred/reactionary responses from suspects to try and catch them off gaurd

[/ QUOTE ]

So they are actually trained to grab random people, detain them and treat them like [censored]? No wonder you have a problem with police brutality, along with horrible relations between the police and minority communities.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know if they're trained that way, but that's usually what happens, especially so with minorities because cops are usually white and to them, all minorities in a group look alike (i.e. all asians look alike, all black people look alike; I'm not saying that they're racist, just that if you're used to seeing one type of face your entire life, you're not as apt at distinguishing faces of other races. My mother thinks that white people look alike. She was born and raised in Japan, though she's been in the States for over half her life.)

I remember once in High School, a group of my friends (half of the group was asian, the other half, white) were hanging out playing basketball near our school and on the way to the subway, we were detained (well, the asians in our group anyway) off of a description on a wanted sign. It was one guy they were looking for, but they detained all of us because we matched the description (being asian).

We were spoken to much like the OP was, and treated as though we did something wrong. We looked nothing alike, and we especially didn't look anything like the guy on the wanted poster, but apparently, we did to the cops. I've luckily not had too many run-ins with the police, but most of the ones I did have were definitely not pleasant (and all but two, unjustified, as I had done nothing wrong).

In fact, the two times that I've had to deal with the police where I had done something wrong (speeding ticket, walking through a public park after it had closed) were actually much more pleasant than the 5 or 6 other times I've been detained and had done absolutely nothing wrong.

Jeez, I wrote a novel. I don't even remember the point I was trying to make. Did that make any sense? Apologies if it didn't.
Old 09-13-2007, 01:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
"Yes it's a coincidence?"
"are you being smart with me BOY"
"no... no-err.. what?"

"no.. no it's not a coin... err.."
"so you DID do it?"

[/ QUOTE ]

In England if a policeman tried doing this to me I would just laugh at him and he couldn't/wouldn't do sh*t about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Police tactics take a shotgun approach - most people react within verrrrry narrow ranges of responses that have been talked about in their training. People are rarely smartasses when they're being intimidated.
Old 09-13-2007, 01:36 PM

That made up conversation is pretty LOL.
Old 09-13-2007, 01:50 PM

Why did you let them search you for weapons in the first place? That was your first mistake
Old 09-13-2007, 01:59 PM

Let's see here, you from out of town walking around in the middle of the night and refuse to answer any questions. What the cops did was totally standard. They were actually very nice to you since they didn't give you a citation for underage drinking. The "don't answer any questions" gambit is a strong one if you are guilty of something.
Old 09-13-2007, 02:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why did you let them search you for weapons in the first place? That was your first mistake

[/ QUOTE ]

They're allowed to search you for weapons if you're under a "Terry Stop".

Search you for weapons that is.
Old 09-13-2007, 02:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Let's see here, you from out of town walking around in the middle of the night and refuse to answer any questions. What the cops did was totally standard. They were actually very nice to you since they didn't give you a citation for underage drinking. The "don't answer any questions" gambit is a strong one if you are guilty of something.

[/ QUOTE ]

The weren't caught drinking. They weren't even operating a vehicle yet. They were just walking down the street. I'm actually kind of confused as to whether OP is required to do the eye test field sobriety test.
Old 09-13-2007, 02:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

They're allowed to search you for weapons if you're under a "Terry Stop".

Search you for weapons that is.

[/ QUOTE ]

There needs to be reasonable suspicion that criminal activity has occurred/is occurring/is going to occur for such a person to be detained and then the officer may frisk the detained person if they feel the person may hold a weapon that would endanger the health of the officers. This is all according to Terry. None of this appeared in the details of the OP unless I missed it.
Old 09-13-2007, 02:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The weren't caught drinking. They weren't even operating a vehicle yet. They were just walking down the street. I'm actually kind of confused as to whether OP is required to do the eye test field sobriety test.

[/ QUOTE ]

The OP didn't have to do anything in this case. LOL @ all the people on the officers side, unless he forgot a major point, the cops had no reason to stop them at all.
Old 09-13-2007, 02:46 PM

I didn't read the OP again until just now, I had put the people breaking into things in the area of another post into the OP.

Curious as to why the cop detained them, or if he even asked. Seems like a pretty standard play to say 'what's the problem officer?'