Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-10-2007, 09:09 PM

Default Re: A Message from PPA Exec Dir.

I hope my previous post cleared up any confusion about the regs. There is an effort in place to minimize the impact of the regs. As you can imagine the regulatory process is not easily influenced by grassroots, as they are not accountable to the electorate. It's not coincidence that they have been delayed this long.

I have not heard from anyone involved with the IMEGA lawsuit. I would welcome their thoughts on why/how the PPA should/could become involved. Feel free to contact me at email@pokerplayersalliance.org.

Yes, we are seeking new ways to raise monies from existing and new members. I think it is important to show progress in a few areas before putting our hands out.

I can see about a regular PPA poster on 2+2, as I do not have the bandwidth to respond to all inquiries. Obviously TheEngineer could serve in that capacity.

thanks
Old 09-11-2007, 10:10 AM

PPAdc,

Regarding the iMEGA suit, as you can see from the other thread on that issue that I started, they have responded to a motion to dismiss claiming that they can indeed prove standing and ripeness. If they prevail on that, then they won't need the PPA to help with same. However if they don't, then I would suggest that you be open to contacting them first as their winning their suit helps the cause of poker. But that is not the only judicial issue on the table. Is there any reason that the PPA can't be proactive in contacting litigants on our side first and offering help?

As for raising money, note that I earlier said the reason new ways were needed, IMO at least, was so that the PPA isn't as dependant on the sites for funding. Do you agree with that reason as well?

For a PPA rep to 2+2, Engineer would be a good choice as to grassroots political tactics. But as to the composition of the board, and the goals (or lack of same) that the board tasks you with achieving, it would seem that a new board member wouldn't be the best choice. Is there any particular reason that an existing board member can't come here and speak to those issues?
Old 09-13-2007, 10:20 AM

bump for a further response by PPAdc
Old 09-13-2007, 01:57 PM

The goals of the PPA are straight forward and have been determined by the Board and myself. I hope my posting these (rather than a Board member), doesn't in some way diminish their value. I think you will find that they are consistent with the overall sentiments of the poker playing community -- not withstanding some who unfortunately do not understand the realities and complexity of a grassroots advocacy organization.

Let me remind that this is just my fourth week as Executive Director of the PPA. As I am sure you can appreciate, I am still formulating the strategies and tactics which we will help us achieve these goals. Many of the comments and suggestions found on this forum, have been helpful.

General: Promote and protect the interests of the U.S. poker playing public.

Advance legislative and regulatory initiatives that clarify poker’s legal status in the United States.

Support initiatives which affirmatively recognize poker as a "game of skill" under local, state and federal laws.

Recruit and activate PPA grassroots advocates.

Strengthen and refocus the efforts of PPA state representatives

Build and maintain federal (and state where needed) political champions for poker.

Build and maintain alliances with professional poker players, poker companies and others within the industry.

Develop a charitable component for the PPA.

Develop programs to raise money for the PPA to help support the advancement of above stated goals.
Old 09-13-2007, 01:59 PM

Unless he is ignoring these questions and issues, John should at least reply with a statement that he is considering his response. However, the PPA does not need to respond to issues of strategy when those responses would affect that strategery.
Old 09-14-2007, 10:41 AM

My apologies if this has been addressed elsewhere, but what is the status of PPA's efforts to hire a PAC Manager? I seem to recall seeing a job announcement about this recently.